Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Shackles badly rusted

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ Shackles badly rusted

I've been crawling underneath my '98 stock XJ checking out the rear suspension. I've replaced all shocks and all sway bars allready.

I think the leaf pack is still ok, at least it gives me the appropiate height, seems reasonable comfortable ride, but on closer inspection it is very rusty, in particular the shackles, I don't see any obvious damage/wear to the various bushings, but admittedly that's probably difficult to really judge without dismantelling everything first.

In a few months I'll be taking the family to Colorado all the way from Kansas City. Don't want the shackles to break when I'm up in the Rockies.
In all honesty, my XJ has never had to carry a heavy load yet. But to Colorado it'll be four adults plus all their luggage.

Does it make sense to replace the shackles by themselves, or should I just replace the whole lot, leaf pack and all? I don't want a lift, so I'd be looking at replacing everything "as much as stock" as possible

Any thought?

Jeroen
Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

where at in the rocky's , the reason i ask is you dont want to lift it but at the same to are you going to have to go over any thing.

if i was me. i would jack the rear end up form a point where they rear end hangs free and unbolt it and look that way. keep in mind i have been welding for 3 years now and i have seen some thing. most shackles if i remember right are make form 1/8 plate so something a bit thicker. if you have a grinder and wire wheel on hand take one out and take the bushing out and grind the rust away that well show you.

but i all way when when you 2nd guess just replace.

you may like the way it rides and all. but a 2in like using spacers and shackles is low cost and it changes the look of you jeep but should keep the ride the same its the shocks is where the hard ride normaly comes form. well form what i've seen
Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Do you plan on off-roading on your trip? 4 adults is going to have a stock rear end dragging it's butt. If you off road like that your passengers won't be too happy when you bottom out.

How rusted are the shackles? Deep rust pits or holes? If you think there is 10% loss of metal anywhere replace them. You say the rear springs have you at stock height so no need to replace them. Look at these shackles, they will give you 1 1/2 lift in the rear and that should keep your rear end at a good height with passengers and close to level empty.
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-...001-p3890.aspx

shintastrife, good advice (what I could understand) but you need an editor and/or spell check so people get the full benefit of your advice.