Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ gas leak...stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ gas leak...stumped

So I use the remote start on my 2000 XJ with a 4.0. Filled it up the day before, drove it about 3 miles since the fill up. It's running for about 30 seconds and I see gas flowing from under the Jeep near the gas filler. I shut it off. The gas was FLOWING out from under the cap. I took the cap off and the gas was up to the top of the filler and stayed there. the low fuel warning light had just come on and I put 16 gallons in it. I do have a CEL for large evap leak( I think that is what it is for). I put the cap back on, back the driver side up on a gravel pile and started the engine and the fuel went back down.. The cap MAY not have been on tight, but that is not why the CEL came on(it may be leaking but the light has been on for 3 weeks now) Why would the gas back up to the filler neck and flow out? It wasn't a leaking hose, it was backing up the entire filler hose and coming out around the cap. Not sure what would cause the fuel to "backflow" out.

ANYBODY have ANY ideas what may cause this? The jeep was on level ground when it happened. It was about the same temp out as when I filled it up(about 50-55 degrees) so it wasn't an expansion issue.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I'm no genius when it comes to EVAP, but could the EVAP malfunction be causing pressure in the fuel tank, thus causing the overflow? Figure out what the code is exactly. Track down the EVAP problem, if it is an EVAP problem, and maybe you'll solve the overflow issue.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

this has been known to happen if you over fill your gas tank.... and a pressure build up happens.... it is very rare... did it actually come up and out the gas tank or did it come out near the bottom of the filler neck...
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by kennyWA
I'm no genius when it comes to EVAP, but could the EVAP malfunction be causing pressure in the fuel tank, thus causing the overflow? Figure out what the code is exactly. Track down the EVAP problem, if it is an EVAP problem, and maybe you'll solve the overflow issue.
I'm with Kenny. The fact that you have both a code and a symptom may very well NOT be a coincidence. Gotta resolve every CEL/code.

Post the EXACT code number here for comment.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM

Code is 0455 evaporate system leak large
Gas was coming out of the filler neck, actually flowing out when I removed the gas cap. I just checked the code and started it and there was a strong gas odor after I started it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by pajeepman
Code is 0455 evaporate system leak large
Gas was coming out of the filler neck, actually flowing out when I removed the gas cap. I just checked the code and started it and there was a strong gas odor after I started it.
You need to get a smoke test done to find the EVAP leak. It would be nice if someone who's had experience with the EVAP on these rigs would chime in. Most vehicles have common weak points. Certain solenoids, spots where EVAP lines crack, etc. I've only had my XJ for a month so I'm as lost as you without a smoke machine.

EDIT: And just so its out of the way, buy a new gas cap. It's always something so simple that causes problems.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

I've had an EVAP leak, and I've never had gas come pouring out, of anywhere. I'm not an expert by any means, but I assume you overfilled it? I'm interested to see what you find out.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Passt
I've had an EVAP leak, and I've never had gas come pouring out, of anywhere. I'm not an expert by any means, but I assume you overfilled it? I'm interested to see what you find out.
I put 16.0? gallons in it, low fuel light just came on. Low fuel light is suppose to come on at 2 gallons + 16 I put in should have left plenty of room in tank which is said to be 20 gallons. Gonna drop of my waste oil at my garage and talk mechanic, I know he has a smoker at his shop and he has always taken good care of me.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I always top off my gas tank when I fill up because I live out in the middle of nowhere and it takes 30mins to get to the nearest gas station and I don't want to get caught short. Anyways, I have never had my gas pouring out when I top off even when the fuel expands in the 100-120 deg heat. Maybe it would if I had a EVAP leak?