Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ electrical nightmare

Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ electrical nightmare

My XJ's horn blows everytime the dome light comes on, whether its when you open the doors, turn the dimmer to dome position, or hit the keyless entry. I don't have an alarm system, but I have a panic. It doesn't sound like when you hit the panic, this is a steady wail. I pulled the fuse for the horn and the relay is still clicking. I tried swapping relays and also checked every fuse to see if something was backfeeding, and i tried pulling the dome bulb but no changes. Out of frustration I realized that if you beat the horn pad enough it stops. I removed the horn pad/airbag assembly for now until I get this figured out. I am leaning toward the clock spring, but really don't want to pay over 200 bucks for this thing on a guess. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

You should check to see if the horn wire is connected to the dome light wire somewhere, or if some idiot put them in the same inlet.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 PM

Year: 2001

I have been rackin my brain for 3 days on this. I traced all the wiring for the horn and dome to see if they were linked or rubbing together somewhere but I couldn't find anything like that. I'm only the second owner and with the exception of the trailer brake, the original owner kept everything stock. I couldn't find any half assed wiring jobs anywhere, everything appears OEM and the trailer brake has been in for a few years now and that was wired very clean as well. I changed the radio a few months ago but didn't cut into anything. I bought the wiring kit so I could just plug and play.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

I have no idea then. maybe the horn wiring is too sensative??
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 PM

You should pray about it! =D
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Try to ask the original owner, you might give you some info on why this unusual thing happens...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The horn switch is part of the airbag and is the most likely suspect. If it were the clockspring, it would probably still happen with the airbag removed. Just to cover all the bases, check the wires that were disconnected when you pulled the airbag. If the bag was ever deployed, these wires often bet burned/melted from the heat of the bag blowing.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 AM

sounds like these jeeps are a eletrical nightmare! my does crazy things. sometimes if i push the door locks on the inside the horn will blow. locks dont work. radio cuts out with the door locks. rear wiper stays on all the time. cluster stops working with no turnsignals Fun stuff!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Sounds like someone needs an excorsism..lol...Tj
Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4L

Looking at a horn systems wiring diagram for my 2000 XJ, it's a mystery how removing of the horn switch (which you did) could eliminate your symptom. Also, you said the relay now clicks but no horn and that doesn't make sense either, assuming it is the horn relay you're describing, The horn switch is only a ground connection to close the relay circuit. If the relay's clicking, the horn should honk.

hummm.....?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM

the more i read looks like 99-00 cherokee have alot of wiring issuse
Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 PM

Has anyone actually ever figured this out. I have searched for a few days now and every post I find is a dead end. No one ever answers what they found to cure this. Right now from checking the vehicle experiencing the problem anytime that from dome light comes on by either opening a door or turning the headlight switch to turn the front dome light on it sets the alarm off. I am getting closer to finding the problem as I found that at the inside fuse box connector c7, the yellow wire is in the circuit causing this. I cut that wire and it has stopped setting the horn off when opening the door or turning headlight switch. I also lost the front dome light coming on when opening the door after cutting that wire.

Now what I find strange is if you push the dome light cover to turn on the dome light it comes on like normal but does not set the horn off. Also the rear dome light still comes on when opening the door.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Year: 2001 Sport Limited

Has anybody found the root cause for that issue??? Please!!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NickT02LS
Has anyone actually ever figured this out. I have searched for a few days now and every post I find is a dead end. No one ever answers what they found to cure this. Right now from checking the vehicle experiencing the problem anytime that from dome light comes on by either opening a door or turning the headlight switch to turn the front dome light on it sets the alarm off. I am getting closer to finding the problem as I found that at the inside fuse box connector c7, the yellow wire is in the circuit causing this. I cut that wire and it has stopped setting the horn off when opening the door or turning headlight switch. I also lost the front dome light coming on when opening the door after cutting that wire.

Now what I find strange is if you push the dome light cover to turn on the dome light it comes on like normal but does not set the horn off. Also the rear dome light still comes on when opening the door.

Suspect the Remote Keyless Entry Module (RKE Module) in the mini dome light/overhead console.

Remove the dome light to access the RKE Module and unplug it. See if the problem persists.

Obviously, inspect the wiring.

Pics:

Name:  DSCF2639.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  883.2 KB

Name:  DSCF2638.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  893.2 KB

RKE Module:

Name:  DSCF2637.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  951.9 KB
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Year: 2001 Sport Limited

I 've disconnected that module and the problem presists, i've grey keys and no immobilizer (no cable is connected to the ignition key barrel) system and no alarm system. Also the head light switch is faulty. It does not illuminate the cluster except in a certain position between on and off. Does that have any thing to do with the horn and dome light issue? By the way thanks alot ccken you've always been a great help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJ electrical nightmare