Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

xj alarm help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default xj alarm help

96 xj with I'm assuming a factory alarm. I never had a problem with it up untill about a yr ago,when one day it wouldn't start messed around with it and it fired up. It ran fine for a day or two then one day when I started it and the starter kept running, shut it off started it again kept doing it. So I pulled the whole alarm setup out from under the dash and unplugged the module, tried starting it and nothing all dash lights come on and everything but no start or clicking. Plugged it back in and fired right up but the starter still keeps running. I then took the heavy black/ground wire off the module cut it and made the wires longer and put a toggle switch on it. Now it works fine but to start it I need to turn the key on just to where the dash lights and buzzer come on and then I need to flip the toggle switch and it will turn the jeep over to start, but once it fires I need to flip the toggle back off or the starter will keep turning. I don't need to turn the key like normal to start it, just needs to have the key on and flip the toggle switch. If i turn the key to start it it does nothing and it shuts off normally . The module says avs and it has the shock sensor but no leds or anything work on it and the jeep has no power locks or windows it's all manual. Any ideas on how I could remove the whole setup so I can start it normal?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

That is definitely an aftermarket setup