Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wrecked, need some advice on replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Post wrecked, need some advice on replacement parts

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to your boards. I have been trolling for a week or two now and getting quite a bit of good info, figured it was time I joined up.

Anyways, I have a 1996 Cherokee Country and I rear ended someone in it this past week (brake failure!) and I do not yet know enough about Cherokee's and what years I can interchange parts from so I am hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction before I start picking out new parts or stuff from the junkyard that will not work.

Here are the parts I know I need:
- header panel
- radiator
- radiator support
- auto trans cooler?
- electric fan
- headlamp "doors" w/ new parking signal, etc
- hood
- left fender (?)

Here's a pic or two of the damage:

^ In this last pic you can see how much i've already moved the bending. I think its getting close to where it once was.

I cannot find an "exploded" front end diagram in my Chiltons book or in the 95xj or 97xj tech manuals I found here. The piece that concerns me is the white piece that comes from the upper fender area and attaches the radiator support. I got it almost fully bent back to where it once was at but its not perfect and I wonder what kind of effect that is going to have for me. I would replace that part if I knew how it was attached in there. The fender is a bit deformed but not bad. I am hoping I can make do with it without replacement. It seemed to deform a bit in the area where the header panel mounts and actually broke one of the studs while I was removing the nut.

I feel confident I can fix all this stuff, I just dont want to run out and find local used parts that wont work. What years of Cherokee should I be looking for other than my own that would have compatible parts?

Other than the brake failure causing this wreck (definitely a concern!), the broken door weld, and a little leak or two from the power steering reservoir this jeep has been nothing but good to me. I bought her from an old friend that I attended college with for less than 1k and have loved my time so far with it. I just dont want to give up on this thing just yet so I hope some of you more experienced members can chime in and let me know whats up.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

You are pretty safe, almost all cherokee sheet metal will change out. Maybe this is the time to upgrade to 97 & up front clip, fenders and header, grille etc.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by captainwoot
You are pretty safe, almost all cherokee sheet metal will change out. Maybe this is the time to upgrade to 97 & up front clip, fenders and header, grille etc.
if I did this would the newer fenders work with my current doors? Also, is the body molding, fender molding, taillights, and rear bumper compatible? That would be much easier if it just all bolted right up.

Last edited by 96ckeecntry; 10-11-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by 96ckeecntry
if I did this would the newer fenders work with my current doors? Also, is the body molding, fender molding, taillights, and rear bumper compatible? That would be much easier if it just all bolted right up.
Not 100% sure but I think it will ( maybe someone else will chime in) As long as your not changing doors(because latch and strikers are different)the sheet metal will work with your current doors and hood
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

Originally Posted by 96ckeecntry
front stuff is all compatible rear is different. you will never get a rear hatch/ lights from a 97+ onto a 96- the sheet metal back there is completely different.

go to the u pull it and see if you can find your parts. any header panel and fender from 96- will be exactly what you have now.

if they have a 97+ with a complete front weigh your options and if u get that. u will need header panel both fenders and some other little brackets that attach the fender.

chances are they wont have a complete 97+ but i can almost guarantee that a u pull it in your area has an 85-96 xj with a complete front end. if not they probably have like 5 or 6 missing some stuff and you can piece it together.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

also if you are located in south jersey i have my old header panel from when i swapped it could be yours for a nominal fee lol
Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 AM

ok guys thanks for the help. So I am assuming the hood/cowl is compatible with both types of header panels then since it wasn't in that list? I need to replace mine but that 97+ front end update is appealing too.

i'm in NC or I would take you up on that header panel richxj89. There is about 6 85-96 cherokees at the pull-a-part across town. I need to go over and see what they have available.

does anyone know what that bent part is called in my pics? The white piece that comes out and attaches to the radiator support is the one I am referring to. It looks like it just bolts on but I dont know what it is called so I can look for it online. I haven't been able to get it loose yet, I am assuming I need to pull the fender entirely off to access some hidden bolts or something. I just hope its not something I need to weld back on. I do not have access to that equipment or my door would have been fixed already

Last edited by 96ckeecntry; 10-11-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Member

not sure what thats called but figure out how it unbolts and pull one at the junkyard. if it is welded on i would just hammer it back best you can and bolt it back together.