Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Would these Ford injectors work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Would these Ford injectors work?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to do an injector upgrade on my 1996 4.0l Jeep XJ. I know that the Neon injectors work good, but they seem to be quite expensive. I found a lower intake manifold from a Mustang 5.0 with injectors on eBay. Are these the Ford injectors needed for an upgrade http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...s#ht_500wt_975 ? I have a Mustang 5.0 so the extra lower intake manifold is nice to have as a spare and the auction is probably gonna go pretty cheap. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Why are you changing the injectors?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Something more high flow to squeeze an extra MPG and better acceleration. Here's a huge thread full of confusion on the injector upgrade https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/mor...estions-13848/ . Basically, the stock injectors use a one hole design to spray the fuel, so less fuel is actually being used and some unburned fuel exits out the exhaust. When upgrading to a 4-hole injector, the fuel is dispersed more evenly and can burn more efficiently. Something to that effect.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

I have had probally 5 -5.0 Fox Body Mustangs and NONE have been 4 hole Injectors..so im gonna say those ARNT the ones you want. However i have a set of Neon Injectors if your interested.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

The 5.0 injectors are still supposed to be an upgrade from stock. Do you have a set of 6 from a 2.4L or only 4?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Give it a high flow OE replacement air filter (K&N, AEM), a tune up and a cat back exhaust.

The stock yellow top injectors from a 5.0 are 19 pounds per hour, the stock XJ injectors are 21 pounds per hour. So you would actually be installing injectors with a lower pounds per hour rating if you used those yellow tops.

If you want an increase in AVAILABLE fuel volume, you want blue top Ford injectors:
The 93 Cobra injectors, as well as the 94-95 Cobra injectors And the aftermarket "Cobra" MAF/ECM/Injector kit all have 24 pound injectors.

However NONE of this matters because you cannot change the amount of fuel the engine receives unless you change the fuel map in the ECM of your jeep.

The pound per hour rating is measured at MAX FLOW RATE. Typically injectors will be sized to operate at a slightly lower volume than they are rated at, only because to attain that rated volume they would be open ALL the time (which would flood the engine). Your engine doesn't require enough fuel to fully tax the capabilities of the stock injectors.

If you install new (larger) injectors, the computer will automatically adjust the length of the injector pulse width by comparing the O2 sensor readings to a table in it's memory, then adding or subtracting pulse width to meet that preset value. (Pulse width is the amount of time the injector is "open" allowing fuel to enter the intake)

So no matter what you do, you can't alter the amount of fuel the engine receives by simply changing injectors.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
The 5.0 injectors are still supposed to be an upgrade from stock. Do you have a set of 6 from a 2.4L or only 4?
They only spray from 1 Hole.....
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by the freeak
Give it a high flow OE replacement air filter (K&N, AEM), a tune up and a cat back exhaust.

The stock yellow top injectors from a 5.0 are 19 pounds per hour, the stock XJ injectors are 21 pounds per hour. So you would actually be installing injectors with a lower pounds per hour rating if you used those yellow tops.

If you want an increase in AVAILABLE fuel volume, you want blue top Ford injectors:
The 93 Cobra injectors, as well as the 94-95 Cobra injectors And the aftermarket "Cobra" MAF/ECM/Injector kit all have 24 pound injectors.

However NONE of this matters because you cannot change the amount of fuel the engine receives unless you change the fuel map in the ECM of your jeep.

The pound per hour rating is measured at MAX FLOW RATE. Typically injectors will be sized to operate at a slightly lower volume than they are rated at, only because to attain that rated volume they would be open ALL the time (which would flood the engine). Your engine doesn't require enough fuel to fully tax the capabilities of the stock injectors.

If you install new (larger) injectors, the computer will automatically adjust the length of the injector pulse width by comparing the O2 sensor readings to a table in it's memory, then adding or subtracting pulse width to meet that preset value. (Pulse width is the amount of time the injector is "open" allowing fuel to enter the intake)

So no matter what you do, you can't alter the amount of fuel the engine receives by simply changing injectors.
Good info, but I'm not trying to alter the amount of fuel the engine receives. The point is to alter how efficiently the fuel burns. The stock are one hole and an upgrade would we 4-hole which would disperse the fuel better and burn cleaner.

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
They only spray from 1 Hole.....
Okay, so how much are you trying to get for the Neon injectors and is it a set of 6 from a 2.4L?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

24lb are to big for a Stock XJ.....He is simply trying to put injectors in that have a better spray pattern........Forget about the LB rating and worry more about CC'S...........
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Forgot to mention that I already have a cold air intake, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, CPS, and new Thrush turbo muffler. As for the cat, haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, but the PO decided it would be a good idea to rip it off and put a straight pipe in it's place. My buddy has a cat I can have but I need to pick up some exhaust clamps and I'll be in business with that. And yes I know, it's illegal, federal offense, all that stuff, which is why I'm putting a cat back on. Also, just not enough backpressure.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
24lb are to big for a Stock XJ.....He is simply trying to put injectors in that have a better spray pattern........Forget about the LB rating and worry more about CC'S...........
He pretty much hit the nail on the head. Better fuel atomization = better gas mileage, smoother idle, and smoother acceleration
Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

the blue top ones are only reccomended on a stroker engine, the yellow top #19s are an improvement from stock but its reccomended to use the high pressure regulator also from a vehicle that uses those injectors, stock injectors are less efficient as the yellow tops and its a common upgrade that usually gives a tad bit of pep and throttle response if you run the yellows without a high pressure regulator it will run a little lean at WOT, they will run on high duty cycle.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Alright, well they'll work I guess. My foot is usually on the floor so it would always be running a little lean
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

And if those would work, then these would work too http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-m...#ht_2439wt_956 which definitely fell off the back of a truck for $35.00 including shipping for 8 MSD injectors.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

err well urs is a 96...so its OBDII so...i think urs should run on 49 psi constant so i think you wouldnt need the high pressure regulator...not to sure on the obdII jeeps hopefully somebody else chimes in

Quick Reply: Would these Ford injectors work?