Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Would this fall under my warranty..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Would this fall under my warranty..?

Hey guys, I've had a few things starting to show up in my recently purchased Jeep that I'm not a big fan of. Pretty sure the pads on the forks of the transfer case are toast, and I've been having some front end vibrations at 35 and 55 which I'm hoping are U joints or something..

In any event, I realized tonight that the dealership I bought the car from gave me a 3 month / 3000 mile warranty on the car (third party ASC warranty) I have no experience with warranties or third party warranties to know how they work but I found their website and what is covered..

I received the red 'Drivetrain "Plus" Coverage'. I notice it mentions u-joins, which is good, but I dont know if the transfer case pads would be covered under what they mention. Any ideas how I can work this to my advantage seeing as though I'm approaching my 3,000 miles? Should I just bring my car to a Jeep dealership and say "Check all of these things"? What would something like that cost me?

Anyhow, thanks for any info you can send my way!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

This sheet is good for quick reference but you'll probably need to read the "Service Agreement". It's a lot of fine print but will go into better detail on what parts are covered.

For example, I worked at a Ford dealer and new vehicles had a "bumper to bumper" warranty. The bumpers weren't included in the Service Agreement but ***** for HVAC and radio were.

That sheet you showed mentioned a fee in the transfer case section. That could be anything. I have no idea what your dealership will charge. Could be free since you have a warranty.

Are you a new customer? Where I worked the general manager would take care of problems like this by talking to the service guys.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

They could pretty much let everything mechanical fall under driver abuse.
So I would say good luck lol

I would not bring it to a dealer. They are going to charge you big $$ even to look at the car, and like I said you would be lucky to have the warranty cover it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
This sheet is good for quick reference but you'll probably need to read the "Service Agreement". It's a lot of fine print but will go into better detail on what parts are covered.

For example, I worked at a Ford dealer and new vehicles had a "bumper to bumper" warranty. The bumpers weren't included in the Service Agreement but ***** for HVAC and radio were.

That sheet you showed mentioned a fee in the transfer case section. That could be anything. I have no idea what your dealership will charge. Could be free since you have a warranty.

Are you a new customer? Where I worked the general manager would take care of problems like this by talking to the service guys.
X2 read the fine print