Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't stay running, except with key held in "Start" position

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't stay running, except with key held in "Start" position

Hey all, longtime lurker on here (love the site), finally had a problem I can't seem to solve or find the information on through searching (here or other forums). Hope you all might be able to help, and I hope I post this in the right spot.

1. 1995 XJ
2. 4.0
3. Auto Transmission
4. NP231

So like the post title says long story short I cannot get my Jeep to stay running except if I hold the key all the way forward, only letting the key come back far enough to disengage the starter. This started today while we were out at lunch, nothing seemed "out of the ordinary" during the drive except the AC "hiccuped" a couple times (kinda cut out, but then right back in) I have had a myriad of AC problems lately and just about everything to do with the AC has been replaced including the evaporator. When I parked it did seem like I only had to barely bump the key towards the off position and the Jeep shutdown. It then started back up just fine. After lunch I went to start it out of habit I usually let the check engine light cycle off before I fully turn the key to the Start position, the Check engine light, brake light, and key buzzer never came on. I proceeded to start the Jeep no problems whatsoever, but as soon as I let go of the key it immediately died (no sputtering, no chugging, no awkward noises) I started it again same thing. I tried checking the fuses under the dash, the fuses in the engine compartment, I tried swapping the relays around to see if the fuel pump or ASD relay was bad, all with the same results. I also tried starting it in Neutral, I've replaced the CPS within the last year. I googled in the parking lot for about an hour (it's hot down here in Florida) I tried "jiggling" the key, using the spare key nothing made a difference. I finally had to get us back to our hotel (just moved down here after the Military, everything is still in storage) so I held the key in the "start" position and eased the key back until the starter disengaged and limped it back to our temporary home about 10 minutes away. I have spent the last few hours trying everything I can to get it to stay running with no luck I am at wit's end. Further info, nothing turns on in any key position; meaning none of the following stereo, wipers, ac/heat, etc turn on with the key in the Accessory position or the On position. If it helps at all for a long while now putting the key into the ignition and starting has had no problems, however when shutting the Jeep down sometimes the key will not turn back far enough to release without a whole lot of "coaxing" and a loud thud (my gf at times has been unable to get the key out until I got home). I do not have any testers or many tools (everything is in storage except a tool box), but I am willing to get them if needed. Just need to get her running asap as it's our main mode of transport. I apologize for the book I just wrote, but I thank you all in advance for your help or suggestions.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM

It has go to be something with the ignition switch

Won't stay running, except with key held in "Start" position-image-1230161199.jpg

Good luck with I had more!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch is screwed up. Try spraying wd40 inside the switch and cycle the key back and forth. Possibly a contact is gummed up.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ken78745
It has go to be something with the ignition switch

Attachment 253763

Good luck with I had more!!!
Thank you for your quick reply and the diagrams! That's what I was thinking too, it's gotta be something in there, just gotten really confused with what the ignition switch is (the part you've shown or the part on top of the steering column) I haven't been able to get to the one on top of the steering column (dash still in the way). Thank you again.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 300EXC
Sounds like the ignition switch is screwed up. Try spraying wd40 inside the switch and cycle the key back and forth. Possibly a contact is gummed up.
Thank you for your quick reply! Spray wd 40 into the place where the key goes or the switch under the dash on top of the steering column? I haven't been able to get under there yet still have the dash in the way...However if you're saying to spray it in where the key goes I will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Spray inside were the key goes.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

If you separate the ignition cyl from that plastic housing (switch) you will likley find the little metal cup on the end of the cyl broken.....
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

its not the key switch... check wiring to the coil.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by captainwoot
If you separate the ignition cyl from that plastic housing (switch) you will likley find the little metal cup on the end of the cyl broken.....
Thank you for your time. Is it difficult to separate the ignition cylinder from the plastic housing? You're speaking about up by where the key goes correct?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by rollz4kix
its not the key switch... check wiring to the coil.
Thank you for your reply. Where and how should I start checking the wiring to the coil? Would that cause it to only run with the key held forward?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Many thanks to all especially Ken78745 it's fixed!**It was the ignition switch, it was burnt and blackened near the J1 contact, the same wire that feeds into the connector is a little blackened near the end. I will try to attach some pictures, I have read that connection also feeds into the blower motor and as they get older they draw too much power and can melt the connection. I went ahead and replaced the blower motor as well since it had been cutting out. The bottom of the ignition switch still seems to get a little warm at the J1 contact area I'm not sure if that is normal and just due to the nature of the Jeep's wiring...I plan on doing some research on that next. Thank you once again for all the help!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by JiggaLoew
Many thanks to all especially Ken78745 it's fixed!**It was the ignition switch, it was burnt and blackened near the J1 contact, the same wire that feeds into the connector is a little blackened near the end. I will try to attach some pictures, I have read that connection also feeds into the blower motor and as they get older they draw too much power and can melt the connection. I went ahead and replaced the blower motor as well since it had been cutting out. The bottom of the ignition switch still seems to get a little warm at the J1 contact area I'm not sure if that is normal and just due to the nature of the Jeep's wiring...I plan on doing some research on that next. Thank you once again for all the help!
No problem wish I could have done more