Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wont start, VERY odd

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Wont start, VERY odd

OK, so my 99 has been cranking over hard lately, like the battery was going. I figured that was the problem and havent thought much about it. The battery is about 6 years old so whatever.

I just went outside to head out and it is DEAD! Nothing. It doesnt try to turn over at all. However, all the lights & gauges are absolutely fine, accessories are fine, voltage shows normal, etc.

Here is the thing Im not sure about. Its absolutely POURING out, as hard as Ive ever seen it rain. So, Im wondering if maybe Ive got a loose wire or something somewhere that is now wet. This doesnt make sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Could be your starter and it just happens to be raining when it decided to act up. Maybe your alt. is getting wet some how and that could be causing your problem? I would lean towards starter though. Do you hear it clicking when you turn the key?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM

I dont think its clicking, Im not sure because the rain and thunder is SO LOUD. Ive actually been wondering if it might be the starter but its just seemed like the battery. It hasnt acted odd except the hard cranking.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by bigvig
OK, so my 99 has been cranking over hard lately, like the battery was going. I figured that was the problem and havent thought much about it. The battery is about 6 years old so whatever.

I just went outside to head out and it is DEAD! Nothing. It doesnt try to turn over at all. However, all the lights & gauges are absolutely fine, accessories are fine, voltage shows normal, etc.

Here is the thing Im not sure about. Its absolutely POURING out, as hard as Ive ever seen it rain. So, Im wondering if maybe Ive got a loose wire or something somewhere that is now wet. This doesnt make sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?
Well I hope it isn't anything to bad but you can always try the easiest thing first. Turn key to acc shift down all the way and then back to neutral and try to start in neutral. Good chance this wont work in your case but maybe the Cherokee gods will shine your rainy day up good luck
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah if it is raining, you won't be able to hear the clicking. You could try to have someone bang on the starter while you turn it over, but if it is raining out im sure that would not be fun for the person on the ground especially if that isn't your problem lol
Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Never heard of the shifting/starting in neutral for an automatic.

Yeah, Im not going to try knocking the starter right now. Not only is it unreal pouring out, but the lightning is UNREAL! Ill try that once the weather calms down a bit.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Never heard of the shifting/starting in neutral for an automatic.

Yeah, Im not going to try knocking the starter right now. Not only is it unreal pouring out, but the lightning is UNREAL! Ill try that once the weather calms down a bit.
I think he was referring to the possibility of your neutral safety acting up on you. A common problem in the xj, and his post was a solution to that.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

I have no idea what that is. Ive seen people talk about it here, but I dont know anything about it.

So, if that was the problem (bad NSS) would doing that allow it to start and tell me thats the problem?

Weather is lifting finally, will be heading out soon. Thanks for the quick help, its much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fsher21

I think he was referring to the possibility of your neutral safety acting up on you. A common problem in the xj, and his post was a solution to that.
Thank you and yes I was referring to the NsS. During the winter mine acts up and I'll have all lights and electrics but no crank.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM

I am not familiar with them either, but it cant hurt to try, and will take like 10 seconds lol. There are writeups on how to clean them since they are expensive to buy, but that only needs to be done if that is actually your problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It's a 6 year old battery, you got you money's worth out of it, replace it before it leaves you stranded.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and if it doesn't work the first time give it another shot shift down all the way and up to neutral
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM

OK, neutral trick didnt work (tried it a couple times) and I only hear a clicking in the steering column. Im thinking maybe the starter has died. Going to call a buddy and see if he can come over and give me a hand.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

OK, neutral trick didnt work (tried it a couple times) and I only hear a clicking in the steering column. Im thinking maybe the starter has died. Going to call a buddy and see if he can come over and give me a hand.
Sorry to hear that good luck getting her back alive
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Yeah, thanks, I appreciate it. I guess its gotta be the starter basically, right? I mean, Ive been around cars my whole life and although I dont know every little thing, I do know a lot and have worked on many, MANY vehicles, and usually when your vehicle is cranking hard its the battery (especially when its old) or the starter. When you cant get any crank but your accessories work, thats almost always a bad starter. Again, there may be some other tricks with the Cherokees I dont know (neutral safety) but the starters probably the culprit, right.

PS: Thought I should add that this is my daily driver, 1999 with 138K on her. All routine maintenance has ALWAYS been done to her. I treat her better than I treat my wife and when I take her to the garage, the techs ALWAYS comment on how clean everything is.

Last edited by bigvig; 06-16-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Wont start, VERY odd