Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't start then will start!!?!? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start then will start!!?!? WTF

Hey all,

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee SportMaybe you can help me diagnose this issue. Here is what it has been doing. I put the key in the ignition...half turn all lights and beeps turn on. I go to crank it over and one click (not even a crank) and then no power. No lights, no sounds or anything after the first time I try to start it as if its a dead battery.

Then I popped the hood wiggle the cables and then battery terminals a couple times. I look for my dome light to turn back on so I know i have power. Sometimes I have to do it several times and then eventually I can get my jeep to start. What is this?

I don't think its the starter or the battery. A friend mentioned to change my selenoid and another just said I have a bad connection. I put new battery terminals on and I'm still having the issues. Should I check the connection down by the starter. Any input or other stories would help. I need to fix this as this is becoming a pain in the *** before work the last few days.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CHRONIC_2001_XJ
Hey all,

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee SportMaybe you can help me diagnose this issue. Here is what it has been doing. I put the key in the ignition...half turn all lights and beeps turn on. I go to crank it over and one click (not even a crank) and then no power. No lights, no sounds or anything after the first time I try to start it as if its a dead battery.

Then I popped the hood wiggle the cables and then battery terminals a couple times. I look for my dome light to turn back on so I know i have power. Sometimes I have to do it several times and then eventually I can get my jeep to start. What is this?

I don't think its the starter or the battery. A friend mentioned to change my selenoid and another just said I have a bad connection. I put new battery terminals on and I'm still having the issues. Should I check the connection down by the starter. Any input or other stories would help. I need to fix this as this is becoming a pain in the *** before work the last few days.
This should give you a hint. Try cleaning and or replace the cable.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks Gonna double check the connection and maybe replacing the cable is my next point of attack. I cleaned the battery pretty good when I put new terminals on but I'll make sure to do that again.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Thanks Gonna double check the connection and maybe replacing the cable is my next point of attack. I cleaned the battery pretty good when I put new terminals on but I'll make sure to do that again.
It can be the cable its self. I had a cable on my 65 Chevy P/U that was rotting in side the rubber sheathing.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Is it hard to change the battery cable on a Cherokee? This would be a first for me? Anything I should know or is it pretty straight forward?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM

bumpity
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Is it hard to change the battery cable on a Cherokee? This would be a first for me? Anything I should know or is it pretty straight forward?
Maybe try cleaning first.

Remove battery cables.

Now thoroughly clean the battery terminals until they are SHINY! It is extremely important that the battery connections are very clean for good electrical contact.

Connect cables and you should be good to go.

Refreshing engine grounds is another good idea while you are at it. More on this below.
-------------------------------------------------------
Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.

Last edited by tjwalker; 10-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM

So I cleaned the cables last night and put Di-electric grease on all the spots. I'm still having the same issue. I was going to replace the positive battery cable but I ran out of day light. I think I"m going to try and replace tonight over tomorrow...however the current cable looks to be in decent shape.

Like mentioned earlier. I can always get it to start if I disconnect the battery and then connect again. But I'll get it to start, drives fine from A to B but then when I go to leave point B. Start, Click..no power. It's raining now and I have to deal with this when I leave work today.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Click no nuttin ?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Turn...click nothing. After the click...its like it turns off the battery. If I try to turn again...I get nothing..not even the click. So I pop the hood disconnect the battery..reconnect it. Check to see if I have power. Then turn and it starts or turn click and nothing. so I repeat theses steps until it starts. once it runs it runs fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sure signs of connection issue factory cables i assume id get new terminals at least ,or upgrade cables for a little more cash.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I have already replaced terminals.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM

quick question...please don't belittle me for asking this. I work like long days and have just had limited time to investigate. I plan to change out my positive and negative cables from my battery this week.

I know the positive cable goes to fuse box and to the solenoid. The ground cable goes to the body about 12 inches away and then it leads down towards the motor....

...my question is where does the longer negative cable lead to??

Thanks!