Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wont idle right on start up, downshifting too

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L
Default Wont idle right on start up, downshifting too

So heres whats happening...
About a week ago it wouldnt start. so i messed with a battery terminal that was loose. good, problem gone for a day. next day. check engine on start up. so i get code p0505 or they clled it 505. which is check idle censor, clean butterfly, check for vaccuum leaks. so far i have cleaned the butterfly and that helped for a day or two. then replaced the cap, button, and wires, and spark plugs. then after i drove it about 6 miles and it wouldnt down shift right, it bogged and choked, then finally cleared up into 1st gear after 5 or 6 seconds at a stop sign. i bought a ICS (idle control etc) at autozone for $32..when i took the old one out, it was a hlaf inch longer than the new one. the new one was the same size and bolted in right, but wasn't as long. then cranked and jumped to 3grand immediatly ...so i shut it off real quick, tried to pull on the sensor to make it the same length as the other and it wont budge unless i unscrew it, to the point where it comes out. so now ive got it to the point where on start up, it needs gas, then it goes to 900rpm to 700, then climbs to 1000. normally it jumps straight to 1100. HELP

Last edited by red97cherokeewithsunroof; 06-13-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by red97cherokeewithsunroof
So heres whats happening...
About a week ago it wouldnt start. so i messed with a battery terminal that was loose. good, problem gone for a day. next day. check engine on start up. so i get code p0505 or they clled it 505. which is check idle censor, clean butterfly, check for vaccuum leaks. so far i have cleaned the butterfly and that helped for a day or two. then replaced the cap, button, and wires, and spark plugs. then after i drove it about 6 miles and it wouldnt down shift right, it bogged and choked, then finally cleared up into 1st gear after 5 or 6 seconds at a stop sign. i bought a ICS (idle control etc) at autozone for $32..when i took the old one out, it was a hlaf inch longer than the new one. the new one was the same size and bolted in right, but wasn't as long. then cranked and jumped to 3grand immediatly ...so i shut it off real quick, tried to pull on the sensor to make it the same length as the other and it wont budge unless i unscrew it, to the point where it comes out. so now ive got it to the point where on start up, it needs gas, then it goes to 900rpm to 700, then climbs to 1000. normally it jumps straight to 1100. HELP
I had a problem with down shifting and my motor dieing when coming to a stop at a light etc because my motor would not idle. i always had to keep my foot on the gass. Im not sure if it will solve your problems but have you tried replacing the PVC Valve (PCV as some stores list it) It is the rear elbow valve on valve cover. I bought mine for $15.95 at the dealership.
Here is the part # 53030495, you might not even need your new ICS
Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CherokeeSport98
I had a problem with down shifting and my motor dieing when coming to a stop at a light etc because my motor would not idle. i always had to keep my foot on the gass. Im not sure if it will solve your problems but have you tried replacing the PVC Valve (PCV as some stores list it) It is the rear elbow valve on valve cover. I bought mine for $15.95 at the dealership.
Here is the part # 53030495, you might not even need your new ICS

Ok thanks a lot ill look into it
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by red97cherokeewithsunroof
Ok thanks a lot ill look into it
No problem. Its caused me alot of grief when i didnt know what was wrong
Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM

Engine: 4.0

I was having a similar problem not to long ago and replaced my tps, map, and cleaned my iac and it didn't fix anything. When I'd come to a stop sign my jeep would bog down til it would almost die. Once or twice it did die. What my problem ended up being was the upstream o2 sensor. If you start it up and drive off after a few blocks or so does it sputter,choke, and/or backfire through the intake? Cause thats exactly what was going on with my jeep. Hope this solves your problem.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4utahcherokee
I was having a similar problem not to long ago and replaced my tps, map, and cleaned my iac and it didn't fix anything. When I'd come to a stop sign my jeep would bog down til it would almost die. Once or twice it did die. What my problem ended up being was the upstream o2 sensor. If you start it up and drive off after a few blocks or so does it sputter,choke, and/or backfire through the intake? Cause thats exactly what was going on with my jeep. Hope this solves your problem.
That was my other probblem, But it would only happen after it was up to running temp. When you reach running temp you sensor takes over your fuel management and it starts to run like crap. Quick fix and better gas mileage.
I got a new one at lordco for about 72$
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4x4utahcherokee
Yes your problem sounds like mine and i did do the O2 sensor, not the one by the cat if thats what upstream means
it seems to be better.... for now!!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

That was my other probblem, But it would only happen after it was up to running temp. When you reach running temp you sensor takes over your fuel management and it starts to run like crap. Quick fix and better gas mileage.
I got a new one at lordco for about 72$
O2 sensor? autozone has them for $62 before tax
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 PM

No Autozone near me. I think?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM

My O2 sensor crapped out a week after my PCV valve hahaha just my luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Member

i feel ya. i have to change out something every couple weeks :/
so to answer my own question, everything worked out. the idle sensor was too short because it has gears in the motor that work with the computer to extend or retract according to the air flow. i had to manually twist it out (CAREFULLY) until it was JUST shorter than the old one, and then the computer twisted it the rest of the way on a short drive and it starts up and runs normal.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Very good to hear that you dint need to spend the extra cash hahaha.
Now i need to install front shocks and check my cardan joints. i feel a pop in my front end when i turn right
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Very good to hear that you dint need to spend the extra cash hahaha.
Now i need to install front shocks and check my cardan joints. i feel a pop in my front end when i turn right

ruh roh
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 AM

hahaha yep. Hope they just need to be greased