Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 now 4.6
Default Wiring Repair

I recently came into possession of a 95 XJ . A rabbit ate the wiring to the injectors and today I finally got to start splicing in the new injector ends.

I ended up getting the top part of the wiring harness from a boneyard as well as a few other timings. I noticed a new water pump on a Grand Cherokee of the same year (95). Looks like the heater hoses were replaced too. I値l be picking them up when I go back in a week or two. This time I got the wiring, a replacement blinker reflector thing, and a new set of cape/rotor and wires. I値l change the oil and plugs, and I値l go ahead and replace the belt. The air filter looks brand new. There are a few dry rotted vacuum lines and maybe a rubber fitting that goes to the fuel rail.

a couple questions:

Ive read and heard of folks changing the intake manifold. I値l be getting into this thing a little and figured that I would do the most sensible upgrades while I知 at it. That said, what is the best year/model intake to get, what can I do to get the most out of that upgrade without sacrificing reliability?

Are the Neon/4 port injectors worth the upgrade? Do more ports than for make that much of a difference?

Any other effective performance enhancements that you guys recommend? Im not looking to spend a ton but I do want it t run as efficient and effective as it reasonably can.

Ive read that exhaust and cold air intakes are not all that effective on these motors.

I have however heard that the 4.0 is known for overheating. Like I said before, I plan on grabbing this water pump and checking out the radiator and other coolant hoses. What are your thoughts on flushing the coolant system?

Any questions Im not asking that I should?

Thanks!

Oh, I値l have pics of my wiring here in a couple days. It痴 out in the county so I dont get out there too often.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 613 Likes on 521 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

* a good set of headers/exhaust seems to be the biggest HP gain you can do..definitely feel the difference between stock..online reports 20HP..Google cherokee mods

* any cool air system will give you very little gain in HP, as once the vehicle is moving over 20mph, air temp at filter mouth was measured <10C different than outside air (others may differ on this, but i measured with a contact probe in my IR gun)

they dont overheat if the cooling system is good, yes to flush.

if engine gets hot, and turning the heater on full blast cures it, means you need a new radiator, cheap as chips
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The intake manifold they are probably talking about is the large runner manifold from the newer Grand Cherokee. The problem with that is they mount the accessories differently and a couple of bolt bosses are on the manifold.

The stock filter system takes cold air from in front of the radiator so anything that fits under the hood, like a K&N cone filter won't do that. Either a snorkel or cowl induction system will. Any exhaust system that reduces back pressure will increase HP, although the converter limits how free it can be. A larger converter and pipes would be great.

I was in traffic today with a Ram Hemi who had installed diesel pipes and that thing was booming pretty good!

I went with Bosch 4-holers and all I noticed was smoother idle and quicker throttle response but maybe only about 1 mpg better. The fuel droplets from the smaller holes makes for more complete combustion.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

You would probably only notice the power difference with the 4 hole fuel injectors if yours are clogged. But you will get a little better throttle response, which is worth it in my opinion. Some guys on here sell them, along with a bored throttle body that isn't really necessary, but its a bolt on mod that may increase performance or throttle response. A cold air intake can be helpful (debatable) but I would put that last on your list. As long as you have a clean air filter you can go with what you have.

I wouldn't take used ignition parts off a junker, unless you are using them as emergency spares, you would be better served with good quality replacement parts.

I assume you are talking of the 99 and up intake manifold, which honestly is a lot of work for not much power, if any. I would only do this if you had to replace the intake manifold to begin with.

The exhaust is definitely one of the better ways to make power. I would do a stainless header, and stainless all the way back if possible. Supposedly this is one of the best upgrades.

Let me know how you make out.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 now 4.6

Much appreciated!

Exhaust and injectors it is.

I’ll probably get the injectors first and figure out how to do header in California with their smog laws...

On of the issues I’m running into with the wiring is that its so brittle. The wire sheathing breaks when I move the wires too much. Thanks to the SoCal heat. Makes for a difficult wiring repair...

After the wiring is done, I’ll get a new battery in her and see if I can get her home in one piece.

Next is on to replacing the dry rotted bits under the hood, rebuilding and upgrading hte T-Case, tires then on to the injectors and headers... Gonna be fun.