Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

PCM Wiring Harness Connector Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PCM Wiring Harness Connector Repair

This is the famed 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermittent hard start and stalling problems.

The car and I live in South Florida so there is no extreme ambient temperature fluctations.

I have good fuel pressure and spark.

There were several issues that have been resolved.

Battery post causing bad ground, fixed.....ran good for a while.

During a cold snap, hard start became an issue......Coolant Sensor and Intake Air Sensor checked good for proper resistance at varying temperature ranges.

Found out that the Idle Air Control Motor was sticking, replaced it and ran fine.

At the beginning of the problems I took the PCM to the Auto Computer exchange shop in Davie Florida and they run a bench test simulating varying engine run conditions. PCM was fine.

Tried the backing out of the PCM mounting screws, (LOL) thought I had it licked,

Finally found issue with the White and Grey connectors on the PCM.....

I have tried the various securing methods, tie straps etc....again it would be fine for a while then back to the same old issue.

Used the Electric Contact Cleaner product on the PCM pins and the Harness Connector mating holes. No Go.

Decided to begin disassembly of the Harness Connector. First stage was to remove the back piece to expose the wires, Would get the engine running and then carefully manipulate each wire, Found 2 that would make the engine purr or could get it to go rough and shut it down.

So the adventuresome one that I am, I decide that I needed to get the connectors themselves.

I have now access to the female connectors that were in the White Connector Block.

I thought they were split connectors and I could give each a gently squeeze with some fine needle nose pliers to close them and create a better contact.

Before I proceed on this fine South Florida afternoon. I was hoping someone else had gone down this path......

Hope some brilliant suggestions will come my way.

Thanks to all that may help

Charlie