Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wire Connectors for Removable Doors Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Wire Connectors for Removable Doors Question

Hey guys. Im planning on making my doors removable this week on my 96 country. I want to keep my power options in the doors though. I just want to know...after i cut the boot off and the open the waterproof hose thing, and cut all the wires in half. What type of quick connect wire things should i use? i want to be able to just clip my wires back together so when i put the doors on i still have my windows, locks and speakers. Whats the best type of wire connectors to use. pictures? thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

I don't know about waterproof, but Molex would be the first thing to come to mind. The plugs and connectors come in a bunch of different pin counts and even plug body size. You would need a special crimping tool to install the pins to the wire and a special extraction tool if you need to get the pins out of the body, but I think you can still get both at Radio Shack for not too much.

Another good source (for all kinds of plugs including waterproof) is www.digikey.com
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Google Jamb-Tac - they work quite well.

If you're worried about the connexions being weatherproof, look up CPC (Circular Plastic Connector,) which can be installed inline and are very nearly proof against immersion. You can either put them inline and be able to break the circuit that way, or relieve the door panel and put a bulkhead panel on the door pillar - just keep caps for them (either way) in the glove box so you can close off the connector when the doors are off.

MOLEX connectors are handy, but I don't like using them where they can get weathered. Even Delphi Weatherpacks would be an improvement over MOLEX (although MOLEX plugs can be had with higher current ratings. Problem is, they're not sealed.)

Digi-Key is good. Also check Allied Electronics - I know they carry CPCs. And, if you have any local industrial surplus outfits, check them out (something like Halted Specialties out here - you can check them out online as well. They may have CPCs on the website.)
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by 5-90
Google Jamb-Tac - they work quite well.

If you're worried about the connexions being weatherproof, look up CPC (Circular Plastic Connector,) which can be installed inline and are very nearly proof against immersion. You can either put them inline and be able to break the circuit that way, or relieve the door panel and put a bulkhead panel on the door pillar - just keep caps for them (either way) in the glove box so you can close off the connector when the doors are off.

MOLEX connectors are handy, but I don't like using them where they can get weathered. Even Delphi Weatherpacks would be an improvement over MOLEX (although MOLEX plugs can be had with higher current ratings. Problem is, they're not sealed.)

Digi-Key is good. Also check Allied Electronics - I know they carry CPCs. And, if you have any local industrial surplus outfits, check them out (something like Halted Specialties out here - you can check them out online as well. They may have CPCs on the website.)
Thanks for that info. If I find myself needing something like this I'd probably go with your suggestion over mine.

-bob-