Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wiper motor/ fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Default wiper motor/ fluid

ok so i have a strictly mud truck that problem 1 is: the wipers move at pond water speed (will never get mud off). problem 2: the washer fluid wont come out. where is the pump, relay and wiper motor located so i can just replace the crap.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Remove the wipers by pressing out a clip at the base of their rotating spindle. Then you can remove the cover just in front of the windshield. Be careful because the lines for your fluid will be connected to it. You can access the motor just below that. The pump for the fluid is underneath the reservoir, either in your engine bay or between the fender well and fender above your driver's side front wheel. You might flush the lines out first to see if that helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

yea i wish i could get a better motor for it
Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Remove the wipers by pressing out a clip at the base of their rotating spindle. Then you can remove the cover just in front of the windshield. Be careful because the lines for your fluid will be connected to it. You can access the motor just below that. The pump for the fluid is underneath the reservoir, either in your engine bay or between the fender well and fender above your driver's side front wheel. You might flush the lines out first to see if that helps.

thanks. i vote this the most informative reply to a question yet!!! if you guys seen my wipers move you would cringe. its like slow motion
Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

check this out
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/upg...r-motor-61317/
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by stuck like chuck
ok so i have a strictly mud truck that problem 1 is: the wipers move at pond water speed (will never get mud off). problem 2: the washer fluid wont come out. where is the pump, relay and wiper motor located so i can just replace the crap.
This isn't an answer to your question just something that may help for mudding. Get a portable air tank, weld a water hookup on it with a shut off mount it, or fix it so it can be strapped in have a quick disconnect so you can hook up one of the spiral air hoses with a spray fitting on it to wash off the mud on the windshield between holes. Fill 2/3-3/4s full add enough air pressure to empty the tank and you are ready to go.
( I've seen them set up so they could be used on the go from the drivers seat with the push of a button. Just don't know how they were set-up. )
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
This isn't an answer to your question just something that may help for mudding. Get a portable air tank, weld a water hookup on it with a shut off mount it, or fix it so it can be strapped in have a quick disconnect so you can hook up one of the spiral air hoses with a spray fitting on it to wash off the mud on the windshield between holes. Fill 2/3-3/4s full add enough air pressure to empty the tank and you are ready to go.
( I've seen them set up so they could be used on the go from the drivers seat with the push of a button. Just don't know how they were set-up. )

thanks for the write up but that sounds a little extreme for me. think im gonna just fix the stock wipers