Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need advice on wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need advice on wheel fitment

I have some wheels from my Wrangler that I'd like to put on my 1998 Cherokee but I'm not sure if they fit. The wheels are steel wheels made by Cragar, 16x8. Was going to put some 245/75/16 tires on them. Does anyone know if I can put these on a completely stock Cherokee?

I was about to try it out, but someone told me the offset is too much and the tires would rub in the fenders. This person also said the offset would throw off the geometry so badly that the Jeep would essentially explode.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

These are the wheels... http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

well we don't know your offset or backspacing so we can't comment on that, but I would go ahead and assume that if they are crager soft 8s then the backspacing is going to give a wider stance than stock rims.

for example, 4 inches of backspacing will be wider than stock, which is usually between 5 and 6 inches.

your tires however may be slightly large for a bone stocker. they will be similar in size to 30's, though slightly larger. Almost inbetween 30's and 31's.

I'd recommend those with a 2 inch budget lift.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 2.5l 4 cyl

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
I have some wheels from my Wrangler that I'd like to put on my 1998 Cherokee but I'm not sure if they fit. The wheels are steel wheels made by Cragar, 16x8. Was going to put some 245/75/16 tires on them. Does anyone know if I can put these on a completely stock Cherokee?

I was about to try it out, but someone told me the offset is too much and the tires would rub in the fenders. This person also said the offset would throw off the geometry so badly that the Jeep would essentially explode.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

These are the wheels... http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
the 16s will fit yes and the x 8 will yes whats ur back spacing? take one off n put urs on or take one off n measure from the back of the wheel where the hub sits to the top lip n do that to the other n see what the diff is then go from there..
Old 10-03-2010, 03:36 PM

I was about to try it out, but [...] this person also said the offset would throw off the geometry so badly that the Jeep would essentially explode.
you can punch this person in the face. this makes no sense.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherokee
I agree mostly it doesn't make sense, but I would not punch him in the face!
Like stated before, it should fit. Put them on and see what happens. It will not explode, just be easy with it until you check it out by turning and flexing to see if it rubs.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM

well we don't know your offset or backspacing so we can't comment on that, but I would go ahead and assume that if they are crager soft 8s then the backspacing is going to give a wider stance than stock rims.

for example, 4 inches of backspacing will be wider than stock, which is usually between 5 and 6 inches.

your tires however may be slightly large for a bone stocker. they will be similar in size to 30's, though slightly larger. Almost inbetween 30's and 31's.

I'd recommend those with a 2 inch budget lift.
Great, thanks for the info. I believe the backspacing on these is 5". I think I might go for the budget lift, good idea...

Haha well he didn't actually say it would explode, I added that part. He just said it would cause problems.

The problem with putting them on to test it is that as of now I only have the wheels, no tires. I'm trying to make sure that everything will fit if I go with the 16" wheels, before I buy anything. Might just stick with the 15 stock wheels.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I believe the backspacing on these is 5". I think I might go for the budget lift, good idea...

Haha well he didn't actually say it would explode, I added that part. He just said it would cause problems.

The problem with putting them on to test it is that as of now I only have the wheels, no tires. I'm trying to make sure that everything will fit if I go with the 16" wheels, before I buy anything. Might just stick with the 15 stock wheels.
haha ok so saying you should punch him was over the top. but so is saying your jeep will explode from wheels that fit! i have 30's on a 1.5 inch lift and they work great. I could have gone to 31s if I was planning to add an inch or two of lift in the future before wheeling. I don't have any experience with 30's or 245's on a stock lift, so maybe someone else can chime in on that, but I have seen a number of people put 30's on before they lift and it being fine. I got rid of my stock wheels because they looked terrible, but if you like the way yours look then keep them. 16 inch wheels are harder to tires for once you get up in size (at least for as cheap as if you had 15's).