Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

winter + no working heater!! not good!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default winter + no working heater!! not good!!

Ok my heater doesn't work nothing blows out no matter what temp its at or what speed and I put a new blower motor in it and that didn't help. It would work everyonce in a while and then just quit! I have been told that it could be a resistor pack?? Where the Heck would that even be? And what else could of caused this?

My xj isn't my dd but I love winter wheelin and would rather not freeze my butt off while doing it! SInce we just got the first snowfall this is top priority! Any info will help thanks

Boots
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

How does it run temperature wise? Could have a clogged heater core.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Coolant temp? That's fine nothing out of the ordinary but the ac/heater doesn't even blow air out at all
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by dboots
Ok my heater doesn't work nothing blows out no matter what temp its at or what speed and I put a new blower motor in it and that didn't help. It would work everyonce in a while and then just quit! I have been told that it could be a resistor pack?? Where the Heck would that even be? And what else could of caused this?

My xj isn't my dd but I love winter wheelin and would rather not freeze my butt off while doing it! SInce we just got the first snowfall this is top priority! Any info will help thanks

Boots

(my guess) its your fan speed switch on the a/c control unit. they go bad, for example mine will only run at full blast, not low, mid, only high. its an easy simple fix, I've just been a lazy sob and yet to replace mine.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

[quote=dboots;1373269]Ok my heater doesn't work nothing blows out no matter what temp its at or what speed and I put a new blower motor in it and that didn't help. It would work everyonce in a while and then just quit! I have been told that it could be a resistor pack?? Where the Heck would that even be? And what else could of caused this?

First thing you need to check is you blower motor. All you have to run a couple of wires to the pos and neg to the battery and if it runs the blower is fine.

Originally Posted by kissthis66
(my guess) its your fan speed switch on the a/c control unit. they go bad, for example mine will only run at full blast, not low, mid, only high. its an easy simple fix, I've just been a lazy sob and yet to replace mine.
As for your problem it is not the switch more then likely it is the blower motor relay if it only runs on high.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Not to thread jack but mine is just like the op's except it blows ever so lightly. Idk what it could be either
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Coolant temp? That's fine nothing out of the ordinary but the ac/heater doesn't even blow air out at all
Oh. I thought you meant just the heat didn't work.

This.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

We had a chevy truck that was bad about taking resistors out, when one went out the blower motor wouldn't come on no matter what speed you put it on.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM

So where is the resistor at so I can just get them in one stop at the junk yard
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

So where is the resistor at so I can just get them in one stop at the junk yard
Not sure on a xj but I would look by the blower motor first, I think it's probably close to it.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Ok ill look Thursday thanks sure hope these things do it cause It's Pissin me off lol
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

The resister is under your glove box. It should have a plastic cover over it. It is a very easy change out.
BTW, You can pick one up at any auto parts store. It will run about $25 to $30. Much better then taking a chance with one from the junk yard.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 12-06-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

It is this^^^^^^^^^

Take this from someone who had your same problem, pull the a/c control and look at the connections on the back. If they're corroded and/or melted, then your problem is there. Both connections on mine were melted and i had to replace them both. after replacing the plug ends (harness ends) my heater A/C worked flawlessly. If this turns out to be your problem, go to the junkyard and get 2-3 new ones. I've got 2 waiting if mine go out again. Very simple fix.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
It is this^^^^^^^^^

Take this from someone who had your same problem, pull the a/c control and look at the connections on the back. If they're corroded and/or melted, then your problem is there. Both connections on mine were melted and i had to replace them both. after replacing the plug ends (harness ends) my heater A/C worked flawlessly. If this turns out to be your problem, go to the junkyard and get 2-3 new ones. I've got 2 waiting if mine go out again. Very simple fix.
So replace the plugs too then?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

just replace the plugs. your switch is probably fine but I've get another just in case. I'd also just get a whole other A/C control box. I got two of everything when I went just in case one didn't work.

Quick Reply: winter + no working heater!! not good!!