Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windsheild wipers are crazy ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Windsheild wipers are crazy ...

So they only work on one speed ( full speed) & then if I do fluid, the wipers turn on as normal but stop in random spots... Also sometimes when I turn them on the make a really loud humming/vibration/bad noise.... What do I need to replace?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You have the wiper speed control switch on the turn signal lever? Twist the lever to pick a speed? If so, that's the first place i'd look. On my '93 Laredo that switch has about 8-10 positions, or 'clicks', each one a faster speed until it gets to full time running. (no delay)
It sounds like a bad switch to me, but if you have the click-click-click for each position, it could be bad wiring in the column.
Also, i'd check the actual wiper mechanism itself. Make sure it's not 'binding' or badly in need of grease.

edit: after i posted i re-read and since you said it made a humming noise, that could be the wiper motor or the motor speed control board.. Where does the humming noise sound like it's coming from?

Last edited by kjc; 12-31-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: re-read
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kjc
You have the wiper speed control switch on the turn signal lever? Twist the lever to pick a speed? If so, that's the first place i'd look. On my '93 Laredo that switch has about 8-10 positions, or 'clicks', each one a faster speed until it gets to full time running. (no delay)
It sounds like a bad switch to me, but if you have the click-click-click for each position, it could be bad wiring in the column.
Also, i'd check the actual wiper mechanism itself. Make sure it's not 'binding' or badly in need of grease.

edit: after i posted i re-read and since you said it made a humming noise, that could be the wiper motor or the motor speed control board.. Where does the humming noise sound like it's coming from?
From where the wiper arm connects to... I think maybe the wiper motors are bad??? Are there more than 1 motor???
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

One motor runs both arms. Sounds like bad motor or shot bushings or connection in the linkage. Remove the wiper arms and the cowl and check it out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Click-Click-Pull
One motor runs both arms. Sounds like bad motor or shot bushings or connection in the linkage. Remove the wiper arms and the cowl and check it out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Needs a new motor