Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wierd voltage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question wierd voltage

Hey peoples. I have 99 Cherokee classic and I was driving to work today on the highway and I looked down and my check gauges light came on. I looked around and my voltage meter was dead like the jeep wasn't on at all. It was right above the redline. Anyways I got to work turn the jeep off then I turn the key back over and the volt meter reads a quarter way up so I cranked and it turns over like I have a dead battery so I bumped it over again and it fires up sluggish but stabilized. Looked at the meter and it jumps back up to 14 where it suppose to be, I let It sit for a sec then turned it off then It fires right up so I took it around the block and runs fine. I wanted to know if somthing could be going out if so what could it be? If has gone through this be for ? Or did the the jeep just have a dumb moment and I shouldn't worry about it? If it was the alternator would the meter still read somthing and just slowly drain? I wouldn't know. Thanks for any input .
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

My alternator was going out awhile back, my volt light was on and my voltage was low. I went to autozone and had them check it out for free.