Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

When one little thing fails...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default When one little thing fails...

... a whole situation occurs. Rear drum brakes suck. They suck even more when you ignore the TINIEST of issues and that issue becomes a big PITA that sucks. What sucks more is when this little problem could have been fixed for $11.

I replaced the rear drum brakes over a year ago on my Jeep. A few months ago I developed a dragging issue and decided to take apart everything again to find a not properly installed spring assembly (previous friend's fault) and adjuster cable and old wheel cylinders. Went ahead and fixed and greased up the 6 contact points per side. Went to install driver's side hardware and the little tiny pin that holds the adjuster arm thing wasn't very snug in its bore (the pin you normally have to press into place ). Ignored it, put it all back together, went on with life. Ignorance.

Couple weeks ago I developed a grinding noise. I knew my front brakes were very old and I had previously had a sticking caliper issue on the driver's side. Replaced pads and rotors. Sound lessened, but a slight grinding when hitting the brakes remained. After we moved, I replaced both front calipers because I knew from the pad swap that one of the bushings was EXTREMELY seized. New calipers, bled the brakes good, test drive. Scraping noise is gone from the front, but the grinding remains and is definitely coming from the rear left... the loose pin. Today I jacked up the rear-end and took off the drum. The adjuster arm was tucked behind one of the circular retaining springs and bent all to hell. The pin fell out and was no longer a cylinder but instead some kind of rectangle thing. The little spring arm hook that holds the adjuster lever in place was snapped at both ends. The drum is scraped all to hell inside.. I am hoping they don't need replaced as the pads are still smooth and grooving is just barely enough to feel with your nail.

I will get pics posted tomorrow. I got new adjusting hardware for the driver's side and will be replacing sometime this week. Jeep sits for now.

Learn from me folks.. fix it first. Don't wait on a hope.

My tech question is do you all think the drums are ok with the slight scratching I mentioned? The 'grooves' are literally only enough to visibly see and actually barely feel with your nail across them. If I had to guess... maybe .2mm deep if that.

Edit for extra advice... Replace stuff early on and call it "normal maintenance" to your wives. My wife is getting frustrated with all of these 'repairs'. She accepts 'maintenance', questions 'repairs'. Doesn't help we have a joint account

Last edited by 1991Jeep_Man; 09-02-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would scrap the whole thing and go with a disc brake upgrade. It's worth more than the money you'll put in to it. By far probably my favorite upgrade.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

As long as the drum ID is in spec, go for it.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
I would scrap the whole thing and go with a disc brake upgrade. It's worth more than the money you'll put in to it. By far probably my favorite upgrade.
I have the backing plates to do so... but calipers/rotors/pads/brake line/prop valve cost more than $12. Read my edit: Wife is ok with $11... If I told her $100+ and I would be outside all day, it would be couch for me.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Start digging for aluminum cans, you'll have the money in no time! lol
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
do you all think the drums are ok with the slight scratching I mentioned? The 'grooves' are literally only enough to visibly see and actually barely feel with your nail across them.

Yes, fine. Worst that will happen is you'll wear complimentary grooves into the shoes. If the scratches are that light you can probably just remove them with sandpaper, no need to turn the drums.

Last edited by Radi; 09-02-2013 at 10:46 PM.