Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

When do I really need mopar parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default When do I really need mopar parts ?

We live in Mexico.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 140,000 miles - original owners - (a cream-puff).

Took the Jeep in for service today : changed the oil/filter, changed the air filter, changed the ignition coil (autozone), replaced a bulb.
But even as the mechanic (very close to being a true friend) replaced the ignition coil he said, this part may very well fail again in a month or two (fortunately they give you a 5 month warranty). So - I got home and found the same mopar part at what seems like a very fair price and ordered it on ebay. While the part was cheap'ish - add in the shipping and customs and it added quite a bit.

I have been driving around with a 'small evap leak' for years now and we pretty much have it narrowed down to the more expensive evap sensor ($100-$200). We also apparently need a new fan clutch. (As well as adjusting the rear brakes, front end alignment, and change out the nearly 3 year old battery).

But my question - the mechanic swears we should only use OEM parts for the evap sensor and my short research says I should probably shy away from non-oem (autozone) fan clutch.

Any comments appreciated.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

When it comes to sensors I really try and stick with MOPAR. Seems aftermarket ones can be hit or miss as far as life expectancy and compatibility with the MOPAR electrical/computer system.

As far as replacement fan clutches go I'd say most here use and recommend NAPA ones.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

CPS is the big one, I'd go with sensors like Earl mentioned. I've been running the Pep boys standard brand fan clutch and it has been fine.
Generally for non-sensors, Napa parts are generally more than sufficient.

If you can get Mopar at a comparable price, it's always preferable, but I'd say if you have a chance/choice just ask the forum regarding the specific part and you'll generally get very good advice/suggestions.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Get the fan clutch for the 2.5 4cyl XJ it is bigger and pulls more air.