Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L I6
Default wheel spacers

The tires im running now are rubbing on my LCAs, and im not looking to relocate them.

Im thinking wheel spacers will fix my problem, has anyone else used them on an XJ, im looking for some reviews, if you can be product specific (with price?) that would be cool.

And I should be able to run them only in the front without messing up x-case in 4wd right?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM

i think its mostly opinion, personally i think spacers put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings. are you on stock rims? what size tires? any chance of running aftermarket wheels with more backspacing?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Plenty of people out there run spacers and don't have problems, but when I was looking into them it was recommended that I consider replacement wheels for the exact reason stated above. Again, it's a matter of opinion, but you can pick up some steel wheels with more appropriate backspacing for under $50 each - that's right around what you might pay for good spacers.

If you really want to go the spacer route, I have heard a lot of people use Spidertrax.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
i think its mostly opinion, personally i think spacers put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings. are you on stock rims? what size tires? any chance of running aftermarket wheels with more backspacing?
Im running my stock 15x7 on 30x10.5 I know I should get wheels but I have the honeycomb wheels painted black I like how it looks and I don't know anyone who has them in my town so I wanted to be original. What would the apprioate backspacing be I plan on getting taller maybe up to 32 but I don't think i want to go wider.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999
Engine: 4.0

I have RC 1.5" spacers. Had them on for about 5000 miles and now I'm noticing some play in the front, probably wheel bearings but I haven't looked into it much. But I also have 4" BS. I thought they stuck out a lot now, I'm gonna **** when I put my outlaw II's on with 3.75" BS and 9" wide. haha. I have lots of spare parts so I don't care about going through them.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Year: 2001

Move forward cautiously with the purchase of the wheel spacers/adapters. I lifted my Cherokee, and a couple weeks later when I took it in to have the wheels aligned, I was notified by the technician that ALL four of my rims had been cracked at every lug hole due to the added stress the spacers put on the wheels. They were Mickey Thompson steel wheels, so I know they were quality from start. For some reason, it was explained to me, that by pushing the wheels further out, there was added stress on the rim/wheel itself, causing cracks in every lug hole, on every rim. Unfortunately, that meant new wheels.

It sounds like others haven't had these issues, but then again, some have. Just keep this in mind, and decide whether it's really worth it. I went from 10" wide rims to 8" wide rims, due to the unforeseen hit on my wallet, and the fact I needed to roll out of the shop that day. I can't turn my steering wheel to "wheel lock" position while making tight turns because I get the rubbing on the LCA's as well, but I know I'm riding safe now at least. Small consolation.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I have been running RC's 1.5" spacers for about a year now and in that year I have put on about 15-20,000 miles on them and the longest distance would be from my house in Vestal, New York, to the Mall of America in Minnesota. The only reason people have problems with them, IMO, is that you have to take care of them for the first few 100 miles. I checked mine every 50 miles at first and then every 100 miles then every 1000. As long as you make sure they are good and snug, you shouldn't have any problems. The only problem I have had with them, is clearance, but that's nothing a lift can't fix. I recommend RC's spacers because they are built great, and are quite cheap, $60 per pair.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Red Sled 01
Move forward cautiously with the purchase of the wheel spacers/adapters. I lifted my Cherokee, and a couple weeks later when I took it in to have the wheels aligned, I was notified by the technician that ALL four of my rims had been cracked at every lug hole due to the added stress the spacers put on the wheels. They were Mickey Thompson steel wheels, so I know they were quality from start. For some reason, it was explained to me, that by pushing the wheels further out, there was added stress on the rim/wheel itself, causing cracks in every lug hole, on every rim. Unfortunately, that meant new wheels.

It sounds like others haven't had these issues, but then again, some have. Just keep this in mind, and decide whether it's really worth it. I went from 10" wide rims to 8" wide rims, due to the unforeseen hit on my wallet, and the fact I needed to roll out of the shop that day. I can't turn my steering wheel to "wheel lock" position while making tight turns because I get the rubbing on the LCA's as well, but I know I'm riding safe now at least. Small consolation.
I really don't see how it would put any more pressure on the rims. I could see it putting more pressure on ball joints and wheel bearings but not rims, unless they were talking about them not having the hub to sit on?

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
I have been running RC's 1.5" spacers for about a year now and in that year I have put on about 15-20,000 miles on them and the longest distance would be from my house in Vestal, New York, to the Mall of America in Minnesota. The only reason people have problems with them, IMO, is that you have to take care of them for the first few 100 miles. I checked mine every 50 miles at first and then every 100 miles then every 1000. As long as you make sure they are good and snug, you shouldn't have any problems. The only problem I have had with them, is clearance, but that's nothing a lift can't fix. I recommend RC's spacers because they are built great, and are quite cheap, $60 per pair.
Actually, they're cheap because they are cheap! I snapped three studs in one day. They weren't cross-threaded, and they were only a month or so old. I couldn't find the studs anywhere and RC couldn't even get them separate. So as you know they have good customer service, they sent me a whole new spacer (all three studs snapped were on one spacer).
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM

I'm not into using wheel spacers but I've heard some good things about RC wheel spacers from guys I wheel with...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Well I guess everyone is different, but if you take care of them like I did, you shouldn't have those problems. As for having snapped studs, that could just be from the stress Red Sled was talking about. Like I said, I've had mine for over a year and I've had no issues.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
Well I guess everyone is different, but if you take care of them like I did, you shouldn't have those problems. As for having snapped studs, that could just be from the stress Red Sled was talking about. Like I said, I've had mine for over a year and I've had no issues.
What problems? I'm saying the studs are CHEAP. They didn't snap while driving! They snapped when I tried to take the lug nuts off. Which is pretty bad when you have a crappy impact with only 175 or so ft. lbs.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I accidentally replied to red sled again because you quoted him, oops. And come to think of it, when I had my wheels aligned last, the shop busted up all of my stock lug nuts with an impact wrench. Could it have been the wrench's pressure/force that broke the studs off?