Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel Problem #1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.0 I-6
Default Wheel Problem #1

Ok, I better tell this from the beginning. I went to a local shop to fix my brakes, and the passenger side rotor was FUSED from so much heat. So they had to torch it to get it off, installed new rotor, and did all the rest of the process....pedal still hits the floor to brake or I have to pump it a few times to "feel" the brakes engaging. I found out after all that was done the Master Cylinder is bad (inspected at a different shop). But that's not the problem, if I take the wheel off, and grab the rotor... it wiggles, put the wheel back on and I can shake the whole thing ALOT! Also noticed a leak I thought was caused by brake fluid but isn't, it's coming from the Axle Shaft (wiggles too). What should I do about these two things? And how dangerous is this, it's my DD and I'm worried I won't be able to drive this much longer or at all to get to work... So Guru's how do I fix this...while it's still a little warm outside...
Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

The rotor is held by the wheel/lug nuts, should be loose with the wheel off. Extra pedal is often that the rears are not adjusted. In your case with everything wobbling around....Your wheel bearing may be so shot it's letting the rotor push the piston back in the caliper causing extra pumps to get it back to clamp. You gotta find where the play is. Wiggle it both top and bottom and side to side. Sounds like a really bad wheel bearing, also you might want to check the hub bolts.

It does not sound at all safe. From your description I'm not sure I'd drive it, & I'm not exactly a wimp that way!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM

crap.......... Thanks for the suggestion, wow this sucks. I may be posting this jeep up in the "for sale" section pretty soon. soooo keep an eye out... it'll be cheap.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM

i'm just a little frustrated guys and gals. I "might" sell this thing, but
I can't keep spending hundreds of dollars everytime I turn around. How can I fix this was the root of my questions. Is it possible for me to do this or am I gonna have to replace lots of other parts along with the wheel bearing, should I just get a new wheel hub? or what? more mechanics? A lil more info on this please, I have no clue on Jeeps really...
Thankya