Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Brake issue

Hi everybody! I am new to forum, but am in need of help. I'm sure I am overlooking something simple.

I have a 1996 Cherokee SE 2dr with 4WD, approx 245k miles. I bought this vehicle used. It is also my first Jeep. My problem is this:
I had to basically rebuild the passenger side knuckle. New knuckle, new axle U-joint, new brake pads, new lower ball joint, new rotors both sides, new calipers both sides. Bled the brakes and since that time, have had a problem with the front brakes not wanting to back off. They are not locked, but the wheels get hot. I have also replaced the passenger side rubber flex hose and after bleeding brakes after installing that, things seemed okay. Now I again have the same problem with the front brakes not backing off. They do not lock up, but the wheels get really hot. I have repeatedly try to bleed the brakes with seemingly good response, only for the problem to come back again.

My mind goes to air trapping somewhere, but was wondering what input you guys had? I have searched the Internet high and low with really no one having the same issue. This is my daily driver and I really need to get this problem fixed! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 242Ci

Originally Posted by XJowner96
Hi everybody! I am new to forum, but am in need of help. I'm sure I am overlooking something simple.

I have a 1996 Cherokee SE 2dr with 4WD, approx 245k miles. I bought this vehicle used. It is also my first Jeep. My problem is this:
I had to basically rebuild the passenger side knuckle. New knuckle, new axle U-joint, new brake pads, new lower ball joint, new rotors both sides, new calipers both sides. Bled the brakes and since that time, have had a problem with the front brakes not wanting to back off. They are not locked, but the wheels get hot. I have also replaced the passenger side rubber flex hose and after bleeding brakes after installing that, things seemed okay. Now I again have the same problem with the front brakes not backing off. They do not lock up, but the wheels get really hot. I have repeatedly try to bleed the brakes with seemingly good response, only for the problem to come back again.

My mind goes to air trapping somewhere, but was wondering what input you guys had? I have searched the Internet high and low with really no one having the same issue. This is my daily driver and I really need to get this problem fixed! Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert but check brake booster and master cylinder.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 PM

What is the process of checking those? Ive never had to check those before.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Both sides get hot, more or less equally?

Did you grease the slider pins?

Did you put the pad shims back in correctly?

Did you put the calipers on the correct side, with the bleeders pointed up?

Long shot, but does anyone know if the rotors are thicker on some years? If so, maybe your pads are too thick for the rotors?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Check out this thread, may be your issue.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bra...eating-213443/

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 AM

I would be interested to know the answer if there is a size difference in rotors or not. I could see that definitely being a possibility. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Tobey, yes to all of those. When you do something, make sure its right, right?

OldTires, looked at that thread and its no help. Every time I bleed the brakes, it does okay for a day or so and then the problem is right back. It might be helpful to note that the old pads that came off were wedged. The knuckle on the driver's side was fine, but the one on the passenger side obviously had something wrong with it, which is why I ordered a new one. It was almost like it was bent somehow. The brake pad that sits on the outside closest to the wheel sat about 1/2 inch lower than it should have. I coated where I needed with silver Never Seize to make sure everything worked smoothly.

Both sides seem to equally get hot. I have a good pedal and all and the piston in the calipers move without issue. I thought I had my problem licked after replacing the rubber flex line from caliper to frame, but alas, my problem has returned.

Another thing I should note is that brake fluid will not trickle out of the brake line without the vehicle being started. I did notice that today while looking things over. Im sure this is probably the "aha!" to the problem. I have replaced calipers and brakes many times before and never in my lifetime experienced this kind of issue. Strictly a Jeep thing? Will check here in the morning before seeing if I can get my truck in for inspection, so I can pick up any parts while Im out.

Thanks to everybody for their responses! Much appreciated! Thanks for having patience with this gal while she learns!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Just a long shot but maybe you have some debris that periodically clogs up your lines and doesn't allow fluid to return towards the mc? Have you flushed out with new brake fluid at all?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would look at the metal lines from the master cylinder out to the front brakes. there could be a kink or a twist in the lines causing the piston in the calipers to not return. There is a restriction in the system some were, start poking around, look from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve and out to the two lines. The passenger side is up on the fire wall and could easily get hit with tools or if the head had to come off. The driver side is not as easy to hit on accident, but a slight elbow hit could put a kink in the line. I would also look at the proportioning valve too.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM

OK, so an update. I went with the trash in the line thing and ended up with a lot of stuff coming out. Driving it today, and it seems everything went okay this morning. Will see what happens this evening on the way home. Will post another update then.

Thanks again guys for all your help!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Try bleeding the brake lines and checking to see if the brake pedal is sticking unusually somewhere (even a slight amount could cause that) and if the brake pads are spaced correctly from the rotors
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM

And if you bled the brakes and you think it's air trapping then there might be a super small puncture in the line (even a pinprick could mess it up)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Made it home. Driver's side is fine, but I have to exchange caliper on the passenger side....its hanging. Will see what happens then. Other than that, everything is working as it should to my knowledge. Looked over the lines, etc., and all is good there. Will update later over the weekend. Till next time.... It's time for a beer.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 PM

Um isn't any time of the day time to drink a beer?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Possibly stuck calipers. When you replaced the pads did you notice the inner pad was worn more then the outside pad? Other things could be the brake hardware and slide pins need some grease. Or a blockage in the line (but that's usually has a hard brake with little power)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Talking

I wanted to give everybody an update. After taking the malfunctioning caliper back and getting a replacement, installing and bleeding brakes again, and a couple weeks of driving, I am happy to report that we are back in business! Very happy camper!

Thanks to everybody that gave advice. I am sure I will be back to ask more questions and to get help. This is my first Jeep, so everything is new to me. I have owned nothing but Fords (older mostly, current 1999 F350 with V10) and trucks at that, but I am LOVING this Jeep! The V10 has a hearty appetite, so I got this Jeep as a DD to let the truck (and my wallet!) rest. Thanks again, guys!

Quick Reply: Brake issue