Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel bearing or u-joint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wheel bearing or u-joint?

Though it may be completely coincidental, I had my snow tires removed about two weeks ago and my all-terrains put back on for the summer. The next day I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front when I drove slowly in a parking lot and when I turned left. It stopped when I turned right. The next day I heard it at similar speed but also when turning right this time. But it wasn't happening all the time. The bushings on my sway bar are worn out so I disconnected it to see if that would make a difference. Coincidentally, I didn't hear the noise for almost a week after disconnecting the sway bar, but eventually it did reoccur. That said, it still doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally and only when driving slowly. If I apply the brake the slightest bit, the clicking stops. I have been under the jeep and checked for play in the u-joints at the knuckles, jacked the front up and checked for play in the wheel while grabbing it at 12 & 6, checked for play in the front driveshaft, checked for loose lug nuts, and even checked for stones in the brake shields. Everything checks out. No play anywhere that I have found and no stones or loose lug nuts. However, the clicking still occasionally reoccurs. I've searched the forums for ideas and tried all the tests and checks I could find suggested, but thus far everything seems to pass the tests. The one factor I haven't heard anything about is the fact that the noise stops immediately upon applying the brake. Does that indicate something that I have not considered yet or do all signs still point towards a u-joint or wheel bearing at the early stages of failure?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

My front right ujoint just went out, mine would squeak when I turned and drove fine straight, it also felt like my steering aS stiffening up, do to the smoked ujoint
Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Might be the rotors warped and the pads clicking or moving the calipers
Old 05-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by Rampage16v
Might be the rotors warped and the pads clicking or moving the calipers
He's right. Your brakes can make a little noise but when you hit the brakes your pads squeeze the rotor and it could stop the noise then when you let off it could continue because it lets the pressure off the rotor.