Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's your preferred auto parts source? Looking for some pro tips.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What's your preferred auto parts source? Looking for some pro tips.

Hi everyone,

Got a question here, excuse me in advance if it's a dumb one. I'm three weeks new to Jeeps and historically haven't been the most mechanically-inclined individual. Well it's part of the reason I was attracted to an XJ in the first place - great motor, easy to access a lot of things...I figured that I would get to learn more if I gave myself the opportunity.

Well, I bought a 98 XJ and it turns out there are plenty of learning opportunities for me here. I've dug in and read thread after thread, gave myself a little XJ crash course, and last weekend I did my first tune-up: Champion Copper plugs (replaced Bosch Platinum, which I've learned you all aren't big fans of), wires, DC and ignition rotor. I also drained and filled my front and rear diffs with Mobil 1 75W 140. I do have plenty of other issues to get to -- something going on up front when turning, especially in 4x4, 4x4 light doesn't work, NSS needs to be cleaned, fog switch is dead, doing U-joints next week, and I suspect that my thermostat needs to be replaced because I only get moderately warm air coming out. Also, fan speeds 1,2,3 don't seem to do much of anything but 4 works OK as far as pushing air. But enough of my problems.

THE QUESTION IS: Where do you go for parts? I've got an AutoZone they are getting to know me pretty well down there, but when it comes to parts - U-joints, thermostats and all that - do you have a preferred brand? Is Duralast OK?

Lastly, are there any specific things you would absolutely not do without for your XJ? Types of oil? Types of brake pads? I do plan on doing some wheeling, but mostly pretty mild two tracks out to campsites here in Western/Northern Michigan. This is my DD.

I'll be very responsive to answers, so if you have any follow up questions please let me know.

Just looking for some must-haves from all you pros. This forum is great, thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Your localy owned will have good parts and personal service,but they cost a bit more,the national chains have good parts tend to be cheaper but there counter folks tend to be less knowlegable than local shops. Whichever way you go just continue going to the same place,they will get to know you and give you more attention,I know the folks where I go personally just from doing buisness with them.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter

I trust my local autozone. I dont even work there any they know me by name and everything about my jeep. They are so used to seeing me there that i can basically do anything i want there.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Year: 1992

I usually go to Advance Auto. They have good parts at decent prices and most of their stuff is life time warranty and if they dont have it in stock, can usually get it by the next morning. I dont like Autozone around here, the counter help dont know what they are doing.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I use Napa they always have what I need.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

big thanks for searching for what you already found out about your XJ, you would be suprised how many people dont do that

fan speeds 1,2,3 don't seem to do much of anything but 4 works OK as far as pushing air.
this is proably your blower restior its located some were under the passenger sind dashboard mine is bad and i still have to replace it

i have some autozone parts on mine, but i find it easier to look them up my self on there website and come in with the part # cause alot of autozone people dont know much about cars around here, napa is a good source, and for some parts your local dealership, there not always as expencive as people make them out to be

HTH
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4cyl

I have a bunch of duralast parts that are a few years old and broken already. U joints are junk even for stock replacements. Research on here what you are replacing then ask your local auto parts if they can get it by brand name. Look at the ease of replacement before you get duralast. Replacing a radiator hose every year might be worth it to you if the price is cheap enough but replacing the front axle ujoints every year or two is labor intensive. Buy cheap parts get cheap results.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter

the autozone in my town mainly work with jeeps... i asked them what kind of vehicle they are used to dealing with and they said jeeps BUT they said not for parts but for upgrades.... they said those 4.0 I6 are undestructible
Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by REWSTER
big thanks for searching for what you already found out about your XJ, you would be suprised how many people dont do that
this is proably your blower restior its located some were under the passenger sind dashboard mine is bad and i still have to replace it

i have some autozone parts on mine, but i find it easier to look them up my self on there website and come in with the part # cause alot of autozone people dont know much about cars around here, napa is a good source, and for some parts your local dealership, there not always as expencive as people make them out to be

HTH
THANK YOU so much, I'm going to start by replacing the thermostat - the actual heat is the most important thing to me right now, we'll be concerned with the rate at which it comes in next

Also a good tip about looking on the website first.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stan6406
I have a bunch of duralast parts that are a few years old and broken already. U joints are junk even for stock replacements. Research on here what you are replacing then ask your local auto parts if they can get it by brand name. Look at the ease of replacement before you get duralast. Replacing a radiator hose every year might be worth it to you if the price is cheap enough but replacing the front axle ujoints every year or two is labor intensive. Buy cheap parts get cheap results.
That was kind of my question - do you mean all U-joints are junk or do you have a specific brand name you would recommend?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by GoreXJ95
the autozone in my town mainly work with jeeps... i asked them what kind of vehicle they are used to dealing with and they said jeeps BUT they said not for parts but for upgrades.... they said those 4.0 I6 are undestructible
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4cyl

Originally Posted by blackblackblack
That was kind of my question - do you mean all U-joints are junk or do you have a specific brand name you would recommend?
I put duralast ujoints on my stock 87 2 years ago and its been light trail riding and Ohio snow and I replaced them 2 weeks ago they were shot. I went to a non-national local dealer and got precision ujoints and just looking at them I could tell they were a much better product. Keep in mind Im talking light trail driving and the ohio snow. I would guess duralast would not hold up for any serious 4WDing. Internet ordering would be your best bet if you dont have a "local" store.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 AM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

I go to NAPA. Its 2 minutes from my house and everyone there knows me. Autozone and Advanced seem to only know about putting chrome parts on imports and get pissy if they have to open up a catalog and order something.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

i like O'Reileys the best
Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

On the heating issue, does your jeep run at a normal temp? If so its not gonna be your thermostat. More than likely a heater valve not opening or a plugged heater core.

U-joints. Spicer brand is a very good brand. Some people prefer the non greasable over the greasable ones.

Parts stores. We have an autozone here in town and they only want to help you if your a street racer. Plus they just don't know much. Yes I do work for a competitor but when their employee calls me and says a customers rig does this, what could be wrong with it? Yah I don't have a lot of faith in them lol. I know not every store in a chain is the same but I havnt heard of many people who like autozone throughout the country.

Quick Reply: What's your preferred auto parts source? Looking for some pro tips.