Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's a good way to upgrade suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default What's a good way to upgrade suspension?

Ok, so on my 92 4wd I'm wanting to fix some suspension issues... the ride is rough, PO had the car since '00 and never changed shocks which hadn't been changed by that previous owner...

So I'm wondering, how is a good way to do it piece meal? I want to replace the leaf springs (showing some corrosion) and shocks at the least. I definitely want somthing good, but inexpensive. What I don't know, is whether I want a lift. If I did a lift, I'm set on 3".

So, are there parts I can do over a period of time, or do I really need to just decide, and purchase either a lift kit, or OEM spec replacements? Or, is there a middle ground, like longer shocks, then taller leaves? Where I can space the upgrade out over a couple months (paychecks).

Also, other than shocks and leaf springs, what should I replace? AFAIK, I'll be the first to do anything with the suspension for at least the last 10 years.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

the question what is your budget
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by xer0
the question what is your budget

Good question, economical, but quality. Nothing like Rancho prices. Or OME.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

IMHO the best bank foir the buck is Rough Country. Get their 3" lift with new leaf packs. You have 2 options Series 2 or the standard 3" kit. Main difference between the two is the series 2 kit comes with new lower control arms,and sway bar extenders.. At 3" you don't have to have new Lower Control Arms or sway bar extenders. So for money sake the Standard 3" kit will be fine. Then at a later date you can at extended sway bar end links and an adjustable track bar. You are looking at about $500 plus shipping to your door. All you would be replacing is the coil springs, leaf packs and shocks. Let it ride and then save money up and buy a JKS adjustable track bar, then save up and get extended sway bar links and eventually some extended rear brake lines. Then you could easily fit 31" tires.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

I'm also wanting to do something like this, paycheck to paycheck. Alright so If I got new shocks right now, and got a lift down the line would I need to get different/longer shocks when I put in new leafs and coils?
I know most kits will come with shocks, but do they put longer shocks in there for you compared to If you are just sitting stock?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

you can fit a longer shock but you might want to get some longer bump stops first so you dont destroy them. best way to do this is buy getting the peices 1 by 1 and put them on when you have everything you need to do the job. this way you dont kill your new shocks or limit your new leafs and coils.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

If you bought stock spec shocks you will need longer shocks come 3" lift time. As far as the 3" rough couintry, I second that recommendation. Their shocks kind of suck but the rest is nice. At 206k I'd get the series 2 with the low control arms- 20 to 1 your bushings on the are shot. Pm grimus on naxja.org or look for him on here- he will give you a good price on the rc products.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
If you bought stock spec shocks you will need longer shocks come 3" lift time. As far as the 3" rough couintry, I second that recommendation. Their shocks kind of suck but the rest is nice. At 206k I'd get the series 2 with the low control arms- 20 to 1 your bushings on the are shot. Pm grimus on naxja.org or look for him on here- he will give you a good price on the rc products.
Sweet, I'll do that, that's actually the lift I was looking at... however, a question.

My tires are 225/75 r15, and brand new, so I'm not going to replace them for a while... that converts to 28", will that look silly on a 3" lift?