Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what would i need for v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default what would i need for v8 swap

i got a 318 in my mud truck that i wanna stick in my xj what would i have to do besides wiring harness. are the bell housings the same?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

$ lots and lots of $

But I have been told it works.

ACTUALLY...
I thought a TURBO was ridiculous until I saw the video.. probably cheaper too

good luck
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Default found some info you might want.. you got ME thinking.. THANK$

http://4wheeloffroad.automotive.com/...kit/index.html

Do you want v-8 performance from your XJ without the cost and complexity of a V-8 swap? Are you tired of driving a slug on the highway, even though it's a great trail rig? The answer may be in the thin air you breathe, by simply packing that thin air into your engine with a supercharger designed to increase the ponies, the driveability, and the fun factor. If you stayed awake during auto shop and chemistry classes, you know there is an ideal ratio of air to fuel that makes an engine very happy. Too little fuel and you run the risk of expensive engine damage. Too much fuel is a waste of a valuable resource. To achieve the proper balance, since we are forcing more air into the engine with a blower, supercharger guru Rick Rimmer developed this kit using an auxiliary fuel system. Since the fuel-pressure increase only comes when the regulator sees boost, stock mileage is retained as additional fuel is only supplied as needed.

The candidate for this swap is a '98 XJ Cherokee with 120,000 on the clock, which is basically stock except for the 4-inch TeraFlex lift and 32-inch tires. Our goal was to be able to pull a small tent trailer up and down the hills of Utah and Colorado without being passed by every 18-wheeler on the road, while maintaining decent fuel economy and good daily driveability. The kit we installed is a Rick Rimmer-developed 4.0L non-intercooled supercharger kit. It fits under the hood of the XJ without a hole in the hood and with no modifications to the vehicle sheetmetal at all. So this kit is invisible from the outside, making it a true sleeper.

We were successful in our goals of more power, driveability, and fun. The mileage rose to 17 mpg, up from 14. It now pulls the tent trailer up a 6 percent grade at 60 mph, and even stays in lockup overdrive all the time at freeway speeds. On top of that, we can embarrass the black-cloud diesel pickups from 0 to 60 and still have fun getting to drive it every day. Follow along as we install a supercharger on a high-mileage XJ Cherokee.

The new supercharger kit includes an Eaton supercharger, a new intake manifold that has been modified to accept the adapter plate, and a box of brackets, hoses, and fittings. The intake manifold is a dual-plane design from an '06 Wrangler, so it does require you to have the latest style power-steering pump. Look at the photos here to see if you have the latest mounting design pump, and if not, visit your local parts store or Pick-n-Pull before taking your vehicle out of service. The Eaton supercharger has an internal oil system that is independent of the engine so there is no need to plumb in an oil-pressure or return line.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

how expensive are we talking about and even if me 318 out of my mud truck won't work what about like a grand cherokee v8?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You will need a donor vehicle. You will need the wiring harness, tranny and controllers, tranny linkage, front cross member and radiator
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
You will need a donor vehicle. You will need the wiring harness, tranny and controllers, tranny linkage, front cross member and radiator
x2 the donor vehicle if you are going V8.. the turbo whould be around $3,500.. sounds expensive until you consider it bolts right up.. no BS no hoses that dont work.. no vacume problems.. no computer ECM problems.. no added weight on suspension problems (driveability)... do you want a weekend project or a 2 week project? I'd venture the turbo is less $ in the long run and much less stress which is priceless..

good luck