Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What Transmission Fluid to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default What Transmission Fluid to use?

Going to be changing the filter and fluid. i got a A/C Delco filter what fluid should i use?
it has 167xxx miles on it and its a 4 speed automatic 1998 limited
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Year: 88
Engine: I6

mercon/dexron III
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 88_cherokee
mercon/dexron III
castrol, valvoline, mobile,lucas oil, royal purple?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

any of them that are mercon/dexron III. technically you are supposed to use dex II, but they dont make it anymore, and dex III is compatible with dex II systems.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by XjZack
Going to be changing the filter and fluid. i got a A/C Delco filter what fluid should i use?
it has 167xxx miles on it and its a 4 speed automatic 1998 limited

when was it flushed last? every scheduled time?

works ok?

I was told by a mechanic last week .. "youre about to open pandoras box"

he advised ... Lucas tranny treatment to add to your fluid .. i trust this guy .. new fluid / filter = slippage / pandoras box .. said fluid will help maintain its life with lube .. new trans fluid detergent will clean it too good

I had a chryser minivan .. hit a cinder block .. hole in trans .. a new used tranny slipped bad .. insuarance bought the used trans

just a thought .. thus I dont plan to change fluid in mine .. anyone elses thoughts ?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dogkatcher
when was it flushed last? every scheduled time?

works ok?

I was told by a mechanic last week .. "youre about to open pandoras box"

he advised ... Lucas tranny treatment to add to your fluid .. i trust this guy .. new fluid / filter = slippage / pandoras box .. said fluid will help maintain its life with lube .. new trans fluid detergent will clean it too good

I had a chryser minivan .. hit a cinder block .. hole in trans .. a new used tranny slipped bad .. insuarance bought the used trans

just a thought .. thus I dont plan to change fluid in mine .. anyone elses thoughts ?
Its running fine and i don't know when the last time it was changed.. i picked the jeep up last year and not put many miles on it and now starting to put more miles on it.. just thought it needs it-the smell and color of it... not going to flushing it

Last edited by XjZack; 11-02-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I've some experience with the Luas Transmission Fix goo. It is a waste of time. If you're trying to mask one problem it will just create more - especially as we head into the cold season, mandy bearings and gears won't be lubricated until that crap warms up.

If your AW4 hasn't had a fluid change in a long time, the shock of fresh oil and detergents can break crap loose. Never power flush an automatic transmission if the history is unknown.

The correct way to change the fluid on a questionable unit is in little steps. Drain a bit, add a bit and drive normally for a few days. Keep draining and adding in small increments until what comes out looks and smells exactly like what went in and chunks of crap stop coming out. Then once all the nasty is out you can do a complete drain-and-fill. Again, no flushing. I would recommend that you use cheap D/M for the incremental changes before doing your final fill with your (presumably more expensive) brand of choice.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by salad
I've some experience with the Luas Transmission Fix goo. It is a waste of time. If you're trying to mask one problem it will just create more - especially as we head into the cold season, mandy bearings and gears won't be lubricated until that crap warms up.

If your AW4 hasn't had a fluid change in a long time, the shock of fresh oil and detergents can break crap loose. Never power flush an automatic transmission if the history is unknown.

The correct way to change the fluid on a questionable unit is in little steps. Drain a bit, add a bit and drive normally for a few days. Keep draining and adding in small increments until what comes out looks and smells exactly like what went in and chunks of crap stop coming out. Then once all the nasty is out you can do a complete drain-and-fill. Again, no flushing. I would recommend that you use cheap D/M for the incremental changes before doing your final fill with your (presumably more expensive) brand of choice.
sounds good to me !

how much is "drain a bit" quart ? 1/2 quart? 1/4?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 PM

I will do that.. thank you
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I second this in it's entirety.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Yeah I changed fluid/filter on my wife's altima and the results were very bad. I actually put about half the oil fluid back in it and its been fine to this day. 250k and counting. My xj is actually the first auto trans I've ever owned and I'm nervous about doing it but I known it needs it the fluid doesn't look so great.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I slowly changed my fluid over 2 months. I drained, then put 2 quarts in about every 2 weeks. Went from completely black burnt fluid to nice pink Dex/Merc III. Transmission is running the best it ever has in my 6 months of ownership. Doesn't plunk into gear any more and shifting is very smooth.

Even with the burnt fluid, the transmission was doing fine though, so depending on your transmission's wear, maybe even go in smaller increments of drain/fill.

I used valvoline high mileage Dex/Merc III. Comes in a red bottle, about 6$ at Oreilly. You only need 2 qts or so to do a drain/fill.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

this should be a serious sticky

I cant even imagin how many peeps go into jiffy lube & sold on a flush .. and leave with a nitemare

this is my 1st auto Xj .. shifting great !

what would be a good amount to slowly swap ? its easy enough

fluid is dark red .. mileage .. unknown .. od is 227k .. but motor was swapped somewhere .. no history avail.

Last edited by dogkatcher; 11-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Year: 1989

Glad I caught this thread. I'm going to follow the procedures outlined here thanks guys
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l

i did a drain and refil and used ATF+4 and had no issues. 150,000 miles 95 xj
pro-king filter and advance auto fluid

Quick Reply: What Transmission Fluid to use?