Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What should I do???

Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000.5
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What should I do???

First of this is not exactly Tech but I could not figure out were else to put it.

OK I have been wondering if I should trade my jeep XJ for a jeep zj or wj. I cannot figure out which would be better for me. Here is a list of things I need and want in a vehicle

Needs:
must have 4wd
must be reliable
must not get terrible gas mileage
must not have major problems
mus be safe
and must must last at least 180k miles
must be able to tow small stuff
must be able to carry people and stuff

wants:
leather
V8 (whats more reliable?)
full time 4wd
good quality items, *****, and so on.
hitch

would it be worth the money to buy a grand cherokee (i looked at a 1999 with the 4.7) or should I keep my xj.

II want opinions that are from experience or from a friends experience.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

What's more reliable than a V8? The 4.0 inline six that's what! Other than the V8 and full time 4wd I don't see what your XJ can't do that a GC can.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Year: 2000

I'd stick with the striaght 6. very reliable. 296000 on mine right now. XJ will be cheaper to upgrde and work on rather than a newer model. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

if you want something good on gas why would u switch to a v8?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Why would you want the full time 4wd? It's not a very reliable system. But a ZJ will fill all of your needs and is just as good off road as the XJ.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM

If u get full time 4x4 or all wheel drive, there goes the gas mileage. Plus, more wear and tear!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 AM

can't beat the ol' 99 xj 6-cylinder for duribility an being dependable 145500 on mine . dont believe you can really great gas milage witb v-type and awd. just MHO
Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jack thompson
can't beat the ol' 99 xj 6-cylinder for duribility an being dependable 145500 on mine . dont believe you can really great gas milage witb v-type and awd. just MHO
The only other engine that would be more durable would be the 225 Slantsix.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The only other engine that would be more durable would be the 225 Slantsix.
That is quite true. I always loved the Z-max commercial where they ran a slant 6 with no oil and the valve cover off while spraying it with a water hose.

That's just how they run. It doesn't take some idiotic additive to make them stand up to that.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Not to hijack, but just wondering.... when I told people I was getting a Cherokee a few cringed and told me horror stories but then I told them it wasn't a "Grand" and all was well with the world.

I've heard horrific things about them in the "outside world" but in here not so much... I know most prefer XJs and we're all still Jeep enthusiasts, but what's up? Are all the steering, tranny, burst in flame problems all bs? Do XJs have same problems and I just didn't realize?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

I have a 95 Grand with 175k on the clock, no unusaul problems have popped up and I love the way it drives. I was looking for an XJ when I was shopping for a Jeep, but I could not find one that met my wants and needs in my price range. I expanded my search to ZJs and found a lot of nice adult owned Grands for my price range. The one I bought needed a few things done to cure a death wobble and fix a driveability issue, but once I took care of those things it has proven to be very reliable. I chose the 4.0 because I like the fact that they are easier to work on because of there being more room in the engine bay, and I love the smooth torque curve of the inline six. I have not found another vehicle that offers the same comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, cheap repair costs, timeless looks, ruggedness, and fun factor that I have with my ZJ. I had a 93 Explorer that I put over 100k on in just a few years. It was a good vehicle, but sucked off road and was a pain to work on. It was a body on frame vehicle and it would make some creaks and groans when off road and flexing. The ZJ is quite a bit more stiff, and way better off road! Don't believe all of the horror stories you hear about the ZJs, I was worried at first, but I would be willing to hop into my Grand right now and drive across the country at a moments notice. Most of the crap you hear about is not the vehicles fault, abuse and stupidity are the main cause.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Year: 2000.5

Well just to clarify The I6 was never a great "economy" engine so I was wondering if jeep made the V8 any better.
Second some awd or full time 4wd get better mileage than 2wd due to the fact they get more grip.
Third, reading all the comments I think 2 out of 8 posts said the grand is a grand pile-o-s***, so to speak.

Thank you for all the replies, I will keep my cherokee and just fix all the problems it has, like the ac compressor, oil leak, noises, and so on.