Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is this part??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What is this part??

I was wondering what this part was called. My hoses hook up to it. It has two little pin holes in it and is spraying radiator fluid everywhere. Looks really easy to change out though.
Attached Thumbnails What is this part??-jeeppart.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Heater control valve.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Could I get that at Auto Zone?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by twm3000
Yeah, but don't Just eliminate it.

Thanks to djb383 for this:

One thing you may want to consider, is removing/eliminating the heater control valve, if you haven't already. '96 down have the HCV, '97 up the Factory eliminated it.

During the warm months, with a HCV, (temp lever/**** never moved off cold) coolant sits and stagnates inside the heater core.....There's no fresh coolant/corrosion protection circulation through the heater core.

With the HCV removed/eliminated, coolant/corrosion protection flows through the heater core constantly when the motor is running, regardless of where the temp lever/**** is set.

Also, you don't have to remember to turn/slide the heat lever/**** when flushing/re-filling the cooling system because coolant is flowing to/through the heater core when the motor is running and the HCV is absent.

Be sure to plug/cap the small vacuum hose when eliminating the HCV.

HCV Removal

The heat is controlled by the blend air door. I've eliminated at least 10 of them here in Arizona and my AC always works perfectly.

Let's not have this thread turn into one of those where folks think theory and conjecture trumps actual field experience which has been proven time and time again, by numerous different people.

It flat works. Period.

I've already stated the other benefits of keeping coolant flowing versus being stagnant in the heater core and the dangers/disastrous results of having one fail unexpectedly whether you're poking around the engine bay or driving down the highway or trail.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I was slow, and Cruiser beat me to it. But here it is anyway:

Originally Posted by twm3000
You could, but it will break again. The good news is that you don't actually need it. In fact, they were deleted permanently from the later XJs because the almost nonexistent benefit they provide isn't worth the hassle. You can just take it out and replace it with hoses.

Search the board for HCV delete. There are a bunch of threads on the subject, and pretty much everyone who gets rid of it is glad he or she did.

If you're feeling irrational and decide you MUST replace it, apparently some of the 4-cylinder XJs came with metal HCVs that hold up longer. But just delete it. That's a lot easier.

Last edited by extrashaky; 03-01-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM

Cool. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I like the idea of removing an unnecessary moving/mechanical part, one less thing to fail. I bought my 94 about six, eight months ago for a desert toy and to drive around town, a DD when I want. It needed help, everything that can leak, was leaking! Yes I believe everything haha. Still have an oil leak, I believe it is either the distributor, oil sender or filter adapter. Back to the HCV. Does anyone that is intimately familiar with the Heat and AC system know or has looked at modifying the system to allow the heater core to vent outside when its 110 degrees here in AZ to help with cooling? I am NOT saying this IS possible, just wondering if we could figure out a mod to add an optional air door to the outside. I have learned the XJ needs all the tricks possible to keep it cool, turning on the heater adds cooling, it would be great to not get cooked alive while doing so.
Impossible-maybe
bad idea-maybe
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 94XJAZ
I like the idea of removing an unnecessary moving/mechanical part, one less thing to fail. I bought my 94 about six, eight months ago for a desert toy and to drive around town, a DD when I want. It needed help, everything that can leak, was leaking! Yes I believe everything haha. Still have an oil leak, I believe it is either the distributor, oil sender or filter adapter. Back to the HCV. Does anyone that is intimately familiar with the Heat and AC system know or has looked at modifying the system to allow the heater core to vent outside when its 110 degrees here in AZ to help with cooling? I am NOT saying this IS possible, just wondering if we could figure out a mod to add an optional air door to the outside. I have learned the XJ needs all the tricks possible to keep it cool, turning on the heater adds cooling, it would be great to not get cooked alive while doing so.
Impossible-maybe
bad idea-maybe
Probably not worth it.

A well maintained cooling system should work fine. Do you do slow trail stuff? If so, think about upgrading to the ZJ fan clutch.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM

I agree, probably not worth it but had to ask.
So in your opinion is the ZJ fan clutch a better route than going all electric?
I have replaced/upgraded my entire cooling system with a three row metal radiator, all new hoses, new Hesco Hi perf pump, Hi flow T-stat housing and a high flow 195 deg. thermostat. Flushed block and heater core. Still gets a little warmer than I would like when it's hot out(210). kick on AC and temp goes down to 195 ish. I have not yet vented the hood or changed to a HD fan clutch.
Yes on the trail stuff, I like AZ pin striping! Ha Ha
Old 03-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 94XJAZ
I agree, probably not worth it but had to ask.
So in your opinion is the ZJ fan clutch a better route than going all electric?
I have replaced/upgraded my entire cooling system with a three row metal radiator, all new hoses, new Hesco Hi perf pump, Hi flow T-stat housing and a high flow 195 deg. thermostat. Flushed block and heater core. Still gets a little warmer than I would like when it's hot out(210). kick on AC and temp goes down to 195 ish. I have not yet vented the hood or changed to a HD fan clutch.
Yes on the trail stuff, I like AZ pin striping! Ha Ha
The ZJ fan clutch is cheap. And kinda loud. Napa # 272310.

Your cooling system sounds impressive!!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 PM

I will probably try the ZJ clutch first.
As far as the cooling system goes, It makes me cringe when I see the temp up, I know it is killing the poor thing! So I figured it was money well spent. Take care of it and it will get me home.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Having been around 4.0s since they came out, I'm quite comfortable with the operating temp.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Both my hoses were 5/8 so all I had to do was remove the HCV and connect the hoses. HCV gone!

My vacuum line was already just hanging there. I capped it but there was nothing coming out of it.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Let's not have this thread turn into one of those where folks think theory and conjecture trumps actual field experience which has been proven time and time again, by numerous different people. It flat works. Period.
X2^, yes! what he said. As long as the AC is working, there will be no temp increase in the cab from the hot water circulating in the heater core. Agreed!

I'm not sure how eliminating flow through those little tubes help's them from clogging up with crud in the system? With the valve closed, bits of rust or silicone or whatever, won't even go there...one might think. (or not)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
X2^, yes! what he said. As long as the AC is working, there will be no temp increase in the cab from the hot water circulating in the heater core. Agreed!

I'm not sure how eliminating flow through those little tubes help's them from clogging up with crud in the system? With the valve closed, bits of rust or silicone or whatever, won't even go there...one might think. (or not)
Think stagnation.......

And what are you doing up so early?

Quick Reply: What is this part??