Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

In what order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default In what order?

OK... My Cherokee still needs its fair share of work. SO far I have installed a new track bar, tie rod ends, shocks at all 4 corners, front sway bar links, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter fuel filter, battery and cable ends, front rotors and pads.

I still need to get new rear leafs, mine are sagging/seperating badly and make this thing ride horrible.
The steering box has some play, tollerable for now, but for sure want to replace.
The drivers door is off a base model, so it doesnt have the power window/locks in it, the other 3 have this.. but only the locks work. SO I need a complete new door. and power window module (its MIA)
Rear brakes need to be 100% rebuilt, they work, but very poorly.
The fender flares need to be re-done. One of the previous owners chopped the fenders too far, moved the stock flares up and did a poor job of it..

The rockers are rusted, but I am just waiting on steel to come in at work to fix this..
The door seals all need to be replaced, they whistle/leak etc.

SO my question is, In what order would you do this? I can only afford about 200-300 a month to put into it right now. But do want to get it all done. I'm not having much luck finding j/y parts, and the one that does have a red cherokee around here wants crazy prices for everything.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

brakes first
Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I see you are in Western WI. I'm in the central part of the state and the J/Y situation isn't much better. Most of the old XJ's are still on the road!
Absolutely brakes first. Then the springs or steering, whichever presents the larger safety issue. The steering box might just need adjustment provided you've ruled out play anywhere else. The rest is cosmetic stuff that you can do at your leisure.