Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What kind of tow package do I have???

Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000 Ltd.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default What kind of tow package do I have???

OK, so I've been searching around and have not been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm hoping I can pull from the collective intelligence.

First off, I know that the factory tow package had the hitch, wiring, and trans cooler. What does the factory wiring set up look like and what does the factory trans cooler look like? Anyone have pictures?

I have the OEM class III hitch on my jeep with a U-Haul plug. The tow package also wasn't on the original build list (got from Chrysler) so the tow package was added later.

Now for the trans cooler, the only ones I remember ever seeing were external to the main radiator. Mine's not. I have lines running from the transmission up to the main radiator and they plug into the radiator under the radiator cap (one on the top and one on the bottom of the radiator). Is this normal? From what I understand the standard auto transmissions didn't have a cooler unless they had the tow package, but my radiator is also a Chrysler unit (marked on the top) so it's not aftermarket. I'm confused.

Doesn't help that the search function on this site doesn't search for complete phrases. I try looking for things like "factory tow package" and I get results for "package"....great...entirely useless.

Last edited by Northwoods Snowman; 11-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

those plug are prob for a trailer with its own brakes
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

OK, so I figured out the wiring that I have. It's just a U-Haul made plug that I guess can be used for bullet connectors (never seen or hear of those used for trailers) and had the test lights on it. I had the bright idea of actually trying to find it on the U-Haul website. I'm not as concerned about that though as I would like to figure out the trans cooler. That's what I've been looking for for a while now.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Tranz cooler is pretty simple too

chuck
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
Tranz cooler is pretty simple too

chuck
How does that statement give me any insight on my setup?

The system seems to have been setup after the jeep was purchased (or by the dealer maybe?) but it looks remarkably (with exception to the wiring) like something that would come from the factory. The trans lines are hard except for flex lines under the fans that have factory crimp style connections. Has anyone seen a setup like this? Does anyone know anything about Jeeps being set up like this?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

yea that is just the standard trans cooler for stock auto XJ's. My manual XJ has those ports on the rad too, i just keep them plugged. The factory tow package had a stand alone trans cooler, trailer connections and hitch. All of which you can buy online, at junkyards or on forums where people are parting out their jeeps. Like the trailer connection can be bought at tractor supply or uhaul and the cooler can be bought from summit or jegs or really anywhere that sells that type stuff. Pretty common upgrade and is a good idea to save your auto from high temps.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

my 89 has the factory tow package..

my lines run from trans to rad. then to cooler and back to trans.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

The way I understand it, the factory tow pkg has 2 auto tranny coolers....1 standard cooler in the rad and 1 very small auxiliary (2 tube/fin) cooler in-line with and after the standard cooler. It's located in front of the a/c condenser. If it didn't come from the factory with the 2nd auxiliary tranny cooler (2 coolers), it doesn't have the factory tow package. I may be wrong but I don't think any hitches were factory installed.

Last edited by djb383; 11-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

If the tow package was added after purchase or not at factory it may not have come with the auxiliary tranny cooler, I believe this was because it was an extra option to the tow package and not required (cheapasses). It usually sat in front of the radiator on the left and could be seen if standing in front of the jeep.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks, that answers my question. I was understanding it as the "normal" transmission didn't have any external cooling so i was confused as to why I had an internal cooler in the radiator. It makes since that they would all have that and then add the external cooler. I guess I have another item to keep my eye out for during the next trip to the junk yard!

Does anyone have any pictures they could post of what the factory wiring look like? From what I understand it's the 7 pin setup? Did they have the Jeep wired for electric brakes from the factory? I don't need electic brakes anytime soon, but if I see the package at the JY I'd like to know what I'm looking at.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

My suggestion would be to buy a new auxiliary tranny cooler ($50-$75).....they're much larger than factory units and who knows what kind of trash/crud is in a JY cooler. Probably need to go to a RV shop to have a 7 pin connector wired in. The 4 pin plug-n-play connector is available from most auto parts stores or etrailer.com and simply plugs into the factory connector behind the plastic panel behind the spare tire.

http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2000_Jeep_Cherokee.htm

B&M #70264 auxiliary tranny cooler plumbed after the factory rad cooler, then back to the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails What kind of tow package do I have???-003.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Year: 1999

In '99 the factory-installed Trailer Tow Group included the Class III hitch, a 7 wire outlet, a 4 wire adapter and an auxiliary transmission cooler. It was only available with the 4.0, automatic and full size spare. On mine, with the Upcountry suspension, it was $245.00 extra. The hitch was already on when it rolled off the car carrier.
Attached Thumbnails What kind of tow package do I have???-2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Good info to know......wonder if Jeep charged twice for the auxiliary tranny cooler, once under the tow group and once under the suspension group? LOL
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM

I need to fill in a blank here....If the factory wiring was a 7 pin connector, what were the brake functions connected to? Was there a controller under the dash or something, or a connector for a controller? How did that setup work?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Better check owners manual. Green is always right, yellow is left, brown is running and white is ground.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&e...w=1259&bih=576

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of tow package do I have???