Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What goes here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What goes here?

I'm just about done with my "Here's you're bucket of parts" engine swap and have almost everything figured out. All but one hole in the intake and one electrical connector. Every left over plug or sensor that I have from all the parts I was given don't make any sense, or are doubles from what have already been installed.

I'm assuming it's some sort of air temp sensor because the plug seems to fit there. If anyone can give me any info about what it is so I have less time dealing with the "know it alls" at the parts counter that would be great.

I'm working on a 96 XJ 4.0 5 speed. The wires are colored black/white and brown/green and this is at the back of the intake near the fire wall. The engine I think came from a 97 ZJ and I think that's the intake I have on right now. I'm gonna get a hold of the PO and see if he still has the XJ intake.

Here's a couple pictures.

Also she'll start and run for a second with something sprayed in the intake tube. Good sign. Bad sign is that she just cranks without it. I pressed the test port on the fuel rail and nothing came out. I don't hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key on either. I'm used to hearing my fuel pumps prime, especially on my Mustang, so I don't know if XJ's are just quiet. I haven't done my fuse checks yet, but I was wondering if XJ's have a impact fuel pump shut off switch that could mess me up?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

yup,your right airtemp
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I went outside and took this picture just for you.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by FordFoxGT
Also she'll start and run for a second with something sprayed in the intake tube. Good sign. Bad sign is that she just cranks without it. I pressed the test port on the fuel rail and nothing came out. I don't hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key on either. I'm used to hearing my fuel pumps prime, especially on my Mustang, so I don't know if XJ's are just quiet. I haven't done my fuse checks yet, but I was wondering if XJ's have a impact fuel pump shut off switch that could mess me up?

Thanks guys.
check your fuses and pump relay
Old 09-05-2010, 02:57 PM

JeepingDan - Comparing our pictures it looks like I already have the part that you just took the picture of for me and it just gets plugged. Thanks.

Now what the hell does the electrical connector go to?

N20jeep - I planned on doing that. The XJ was stuck deep in water and left overnight in it. I'm pretty sure I'll find some bad fuses anyway. Surprisingly everything so far works inside. Now that my running around for the day is done I can get out there.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Most of the problem is fixed. The air temp sensor was moved one hole back and a plug was installed. The connector ended up being my reverse lights. I noticed last night that they didn't work after I hooked up the battery and did light checks, so this made sense. Real glad that I got an actual Chrysler shop manual. It had a whole section telling what plugs went where. AWESOME!

That same manual also told me to plug in my diagnostic tool and follow the directions when I had no fuel pressure. Not awesome. All my fuses and relays checked good.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you key on? Any other advice? I'd really hate to drop the tank and replace the pump.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

pump or connector
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

JeepingDan - Comparing our pictures it looks like I already have the part that you just took the picture of for me and it just gets plugged. Thanks.

Now what the hell does the electrical connector go to?

N20jeep - I planned on doing that. The XJ was stuck deep in water and left overnight in it. I'm pretty sure I'll find some bad fuses anyway. Surprisingly everything so far works inside. Now that my running around for the day is done I can get out there.

Thanks guys.
ahhh Now I see it lol
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Well guys, I got my first post's problems solved. The factory service manual is about the greatest thing that I've bought for the XJ so far. Thinking about getting one for all my vehicles. I like Chilton's but they don't have anything on the factory manual. I wouldn't wipe my *** with a Haynes.

One replaced fuel pump later and a connection at the trans I have a running XJ with reverse lights. I also have a running XJ with a horrible idle (noticed it after it was warm) and when I rev the engine seems to pull strong and smooth but my valve train sounds like garbage. I got a CEL so I'll have that read. Hoping it's something simple like a sensor or the old gas in it. I've got good oil pressure and I checked through the oil cap and there's fresh oil up there. My brakes are all kinda funky too. The slightest touch of the pedal and the pedal actually travels all the way down and stays there. Thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that it sat for so long or maybe I hooked up a vacuum line wrong.

Considering the condition my XJ was in when I got her and where she is now, I'm pretty happy. Once she's a reliable DD I can start with my lift and tires.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Year: 1997

The XJ was stuck deep in water and left overnight in it.
My brakes are all kinda funky too. The slightest touch of the pedal and the pedal actually travels all the way down and stays there. Thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that it sat for so long or maybe I hooked up a vacuum line wrong.
my xj also sat in water all night and then sat for almost a yr before i could afford to even look at it. my brakes did the same thing and i took the master cylinder off and the inside of the booster was all kind of rusted. replaced it and all was well.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Wes - I'll definitely look at the M/C. I'm sure that a total rebuild of the whole brake system wouldn't hurt in general.

It's really a shame what that kid did to this thing. He had it for 3k miles and destroyed the engine, made the interior about as dirty as some of yor off road rigs, yet it's still in stock street condition. I'm sure that the soaked carpets didn't help my rusty floor boards either.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Year: 1997

yea, i cant say much about that cause i'm the one that sunk mine but lucky for me the 4.0 is still chugging along! when the water started over the hood, my buddy reached over and turned the key. that might have been what saved it but the transmission didnt make it!