Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What to do when/if your head cracks

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What to do when/if your head cracks

What do you do?

Mine is fine, for now. I have an un-modded 2000 XJ with 144k on it, and from what people say, it's more than likely GOING to happen at some point. I want to be prepared with a plan, as it's my daily driver and I rely on this vehicle, so if it goes down, I need it back up and running ASAP.

1. What can be done to help prolong the life of the current head, or prevent it from ever cracking?

2. If and when it does, what's the first thing you notice? Drop in oil pressure? Smoke? What's the first immediate sign that it's happened and you need to stop the engine?

3. After you get it towed home, what is the first thing you need to do?

4. What's the best replacement head for daily driving reliability?

5. What's the best replacement head for performance? What else needs to be done to the motor to utilize this head?

6. If the top end of the motor is going to be torn apart to replace the head, what else can be done to make use of the opportunity? You know, while you already have everything apart, might as well do whatever else needs done.

Thanks for the pointers, hopefully this thread helps out others as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I disagree that it's likely to go. There is a poll thread on here, which given the numbers indidcate that way less than 20% of people who voted have had a cracked head issue. That's almost 20% more than it should be, granted, but it indicates that chances are that you will NOT have a problem. That is expecially true if you follow the advice given widely here to look after your coolant system. Regular flushes, replacement of disposable items like thermostat,water pump, hoses etc when necessary should keep you safe.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I have always been a believer of 'its better to have and not need than need and not have.'

In this case I would rather plan ahead and never have the head crack rather than taking a gamble withmy daily driver.

Nothing is hurt by looking into the best course of action and having a plan.

So why NOT have a plan if your at risk?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
I disagree that it's likely to go. There is a poll thread on here, which given the numbers indidcate that way less than 20% of people who voted have had a cracked head issue. That's almost 20% more than it should be, granted, but it indicates that chances are that you will NOT have a problem. That is expecially true if you follow the advice given widely here to look after your coolant system. Regular flushes, replacement of disposable items like thermostat,water pump, hoses etc when necessary should keep you safe.
I voted on that thread. Saying that I had 120k+ and going strong. But last week I replaced the cyl head. oil analysis confirmed coolant in the oil.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

My GF's 01 has 215K and still going strong, even after I drove it for a few months. Keep up on the cooling system and you will be fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by puredrive
I voted on that thread. Saying that I had 120k+ and going strong. But last week I replaced the cyl head. oil analysis confirmed coolant in the oil.
So...wait....your saying that poll is inaccurate?!?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:56 PM

I have a 96 with 287k and haven't had any trouble other then the stuff designed to wear like fan clutch, water pump and thermostat and hoses. I've never even had to put in a heater core. My wife has a 93 4x2 that had 298k and the same with hers. Keeping up with those parts and flushing on a regular bases would be your plan if you ask me. Not to mention that a head gasket only cost $20 at most auto stores and with about 4-6 hours of work you could put it in not needing it and be good before having to worry about maybe head problems. Don't forget to change the oil ever 3000 miles also. I change my coolant ever 10000 miles or so just cuz I'm anel like that lol
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Didn't mean to say "had" but has on the wifes jeep and there both still counting!!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

I believe it's the 2000 and 2001 XJ's that are known to have the cylinder head cracking issues, so you shouldn't have to worry about it with your '96.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM

I don't worry about it at all. It's the preventative maintenances that keeps all heads from blowing or cracking
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by Joedirt12
I have a 96 with 287k and haven't had any trouble other then the stuff designed to wear like fan clutch, water pump and thermostat and hoses. I've never even had to put in a heater core. My wife has a 93 4x2 that had 298k and the same with hers. Keeping up with those parts and flushing on a regular bases would be your plan if you ask me. Not to mention that a head gasket only cost $20 at most auto stores and with about 4-6 hours of work you could put it in not needing it and be good before having to worry about maybe head problems. Don't forget to change the oil ever 3000 miles also. I change my coolant ever 10000 miles or so just cuz I'm anel like that lol
Good tips, but it is the 2000/2001 models that have the type of head that is actually prone to cracking.

As far the ideas on prevention of overheating (which would cause the crack): throwing in a new 3 row aluminum radiator is one of the best things you can do to prevent it from overheating. You could also wire in an override switch for the auxiliary fan, which you could turn on any time you might be beating on the engine. Other simple ideas besides basic maintenance would be an oil cooler (hooks in between your oil filter and the engine), and some hood vents would help a lot since the underhood temperature on xj's gets pretty high.

Last edited by gvns8; 10-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

The years are late 1999-mid-2001 guys. And joedirt12 preventative maintenances won't keep anything that is flawed from failing, I wish I could live in the world your in ,,,,WELL MAYBE NOT lol.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

I haven't seen any confirmation/verified proof of a 99 with the 0331 head. All of the 00-01 4.0 XJs have this head. Cooling system maintenance is always a good idea, but the 0331 can crack out of the blue. It's about a flip of the coin whether you'll be lucky or not.

An overheat virtually guarantees that your 0331 will crack. It can't stand the high temps.

Anyone with an 00-01 should commit the following sentence to memory (and should be checking the coolant level in their reservoir every few days)

THE #1 SYMPTOM OF A CRACKED 0331 CYLINDER HEAD IS UNEXPLAINED COOLANT LOSS
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 413maxwedge
The years are late 1999-mid-2001 guys. And joedirt12 preventative maintenances won't keep anything that is flawed from failing, I wish I could live in the world your in ,,,,WELL MAYBE NOT lol.
I we all live in the same world.... Wow.. Anyway I had no idea about these year heads I've owned many jeeps but the newest one being the 96 I have now so in my past experience a blown head blow do to over heating. And if it wuznt flawed preventative maintenances would keep it from blowing. It's not my falt they put a crappy head on are babys in 00.........
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

I don't worry about it at all. It's the preventative maintenances that keeps all heads from blowing or cracking
Originally Posted by 413maxwedge
I we all live in the same world.... Wow.. Anyway I had no idea about these year heads I've owned many jeeps but the newest one being the Frontiers I have now so in my past experience a blown head blow do to over heating. And if it wuznt flawed preventative maintenances would keep it from blowing. It's not my falt they put a crappy head on are babys in 00.........
I think that's the issue. You make some pretty bold statements for someone who just said, word for word nonetheless, that you had no idea.

Lots of folks read these threads looking for info. It gets rather tiring and annoying when you come across folks who spit out info that's inaccurate or completely untrue. This is exactly how so many myths get started about so many things.

In this case several people had given accurate info about the 2000-2001 head crack issue, then you pop in saying that you'll be fine if you keep ip with cooling system maintenance. Which isn't true at all.

See the issue??

Quick Reply: What to do when/if your head cracks