Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with a RWD 4cyl 2 door

Old 04-29-2019, 02:37 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 13
Model: Cherokee
Default What to do with a RWD 4cyl 2 door

Hereís a gem from Nevada that made its way to the east coast. Iíve never seen a cleaner unibody on a cherokee out here. Only 112k original miles.

Salvage title which I don't care about. It was recalled a year after being purchased in 94. I think electrical issues (wipers and blower motor donít work, speakers are all rewired into the sun visors).

But itís a rwd 4 banger. I canít even find two doors for sale here, especially in a 4cyl 5 speed configuration, so itís kind of hard to find parts to 4wd swap. Wouldnít even care much for the 4.0 as I already have a TJ as well, just 4wd comes in handy here. The 2.5 in it also runs like a top. It apparently wonít sell either for the $700 I have it up. I canít count the numerous people that came out without reading the ad, only realizing what it actually is when they get there. Had an old man come from an hour and a half away just to leave within 5 minutes.

I was thinking roofrack and a bed setup in the trunk and make it a camper vehicle. Maybe another fresh rattle can job white with a baby blue stripe down the side. The headliner is missing and I was gonna have a local michelangelo paint the roof so I can stare at something while camping in the back.

Suggestions? Shame to see such a cool vehicle sit around. Check out the ZJ grill and my TJ as well lol



joeyourbro is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,391
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

If you want to convert the 2.5 to 4wd you can use a bellhousing off of a Dakota to use an ax-15 or nv3350 (think that's the right number) so that opens your transmission options up and gives you 2 stronger options. The rest of the drivetrain is identical for 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 5 speed, auto, 2 door, 4 door. I think the driveshaft had a couple different lengths, but that can be googled pretty easy and figured out. Personally I'd build up the motor on it, keep it 2wd and rip around in it.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 13
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
If you want to convert the 2.5 to 4wd you can use a bellhousing off of a Dakota to use an ax-15 or nv3350 (think that's the right number) so that opens your transmission options up and gives you 2 stronger options. The rest of the drivetrain is identical for 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 5 speed, auto, 2 door, 4 door. I think the driveshaft had a couple different lengths, but that can be googled pretty easy and figured out. Personally I'd build up the motor on it, keep it 2wd and rip around in it.
Yeah this Jeep would be just a kick around vehicle, if I can get the wipers to work itíd be a no brainer. Gas is great on this thing.
Iíve been reading up about an ax15 swap. Seems like if I were to put 4wd in it thatís the route iíd go. Finding the correct driveshaft lengths sound like the only pita. What can I do to this 2.5 to build it up a bit?
joeyourbro is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,391
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by joeyourbro
Yeah this Jeep would be just a kick around vehicle, if I can get the wipers to work itíd be a no brainer. Gas is great on this thing.
Iíve been reading up about an ax15 swap. Seems like if I were to put 4wd in it thatís the route iíd go. Finding the correct driveshaft lengths sound like the only pita. What can I do to this 2.5 to build it up a bit?
I've never looked into the 2.5 much, but bolt on easy stuff, probably injectors and a bored throttle body. Not sure there's much to do past that. I'd want to put a cam in it and bore it out a little, maybe get my friends who like to turbo everything to help me slap a turbo on it.

As far as wipers, I'm pretty sure it's a common problem with the intermittent wipers for the module to fail. I've seen quite a few threads about it.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 04:00 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 13
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
I've never looked into the 2.5 much, but bolt on easy stuff, probably injectors and a bored throttle body. Not sure there's much to do past that. I'd want to put a cam in it and bore it out a little, maybe get my friends who like to turbo everything to help me slap a turbo on it.

As far as wipers, I'm pretty sure it's a common problem with the intermittent wipers for the module to fail. I've seen quite a few threads about it.
Weíve replaced the switch so far but not the module. Thatís something Iíll look into it. This vehicle honestly sits around so much, I know thereís a slow PS leak and it likes to stall every once in awhile down the road. Throws a CEL but Iíve never looked, happened to my TJ once and was the CPS. Iíll look into it.
joeyourbro is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 04:32 PM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,859
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

CPS failure seems extremely rare on a stick shift. Now I don't know about the 4cyl, but after 715k over 3 manual Jeeps in the family (2 AX15, 1 NV3550), there's yet to be a single CPS failure. Also, if you do go the 4.0L route, stick with the AX15, the NV3550 I had in my 2k TJ was a total piece of junk.
PatHenry is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 04:48 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 13
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by PatHenry View Post
CPS failure seems extremely rare on a stick shift. Now I don't know about the 4cyl, but after 715k over 3 manual Jeeps in the family (2 AX15, 1 NV3550), there's yet to be a single CPS failure. Also, if you do go the 4.0L route, stick with the AX15, the NV3550 I had in my 2k TJ was a total piece of junk.
Ill have to get the code when I get back from vacation. That was just my experience from my TJ.
joeyourbro is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 184
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default

Originally Posted by joeyourbro View Post
Weíve replaced the switch so far but not the module.
I've fixed a few intermittent modules by reflowing solder joints. Worth taking apart and seeing if it has the tell-tale circular cracks around the solder joints.
lawsoncl is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 13
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
I've fixed a few intermittent modules by reflowing solder joints. Worth taking apart and seeing if it has the tell-tale circular cracks around the solder joints.
Im pretty decent with a soldering iron, thanks for the heads up.
joeyourbro is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 AM
  #10  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,756
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

If both wipers and blower motor don't work, it's likely the brown wire at the ignition switch is burned along with the switch.


cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern CT
Posts: 546
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
I've never looked into the 2.5 much, but bolt on easy stuff, probably injectors and a bored throttle body. Not sure there's much to do past that. I'd want to put a cam in it and bore it out a little, maybe get my friends who like to turbo everything to help me slap a turbo on it.

As far as wipers, I'm pretty sure it's a common problem with the intermittent wipers for the module to fail. I've seen quite a few threads about it.
I would say look into a turbocharger set up for it. It wouldn't put down the most power but it would be very unique and surprise a lot of skeptics. Too bad there isn't a bolt on manifold for a turbo. If only there was someone currently working on such a part?
Cummins93 is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Red1992XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 189
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Keep it and do a 4wd swap. My grandfather had an 85 4cyl, auto, 4wd, and it was still a beast in the snow. Others on here would know more, but I think you could convert it using parts from a 4 door.

My advice, clean it up and keep it relatively stock , and you will have people offering you money left and right for it. I don't know why people would turn down a rust free XJ in NJ, they are hard to find.
Red1992XJ is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM
  #13  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,391
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Red1992XJ
Keep it and do a 4wd swap. My grandfather had an 85 4cyl, auto, 4wd, and it was still a beast in the snow. Others on here would know more, but I think you could convert it using parts from a 4 door.

My advice, clean it up and keep it relatively stock , and you will have people offering you money left and right for it. I don't know why people would turn down a rust free XJ in NJ, they are hard to find.
4 door and 2 door are exactly the same mechanically speaking.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM
  #14  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,859
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by Red1992XJ View Post
. I don't know why people would turn down a rust free XJ in NJ, they are hard to find.
Probably an inability to drive a manual transmission.
PatHenry is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 04:34 PM
  #15  
CF Veteran
 
Waynerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: North canaan Connecticut
Posts: 1,290
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I always figured if I got a rwd I would just drive it in the summer or even in winter when there’s no snow. Although all I drove was 2wd vehicles for the first 5 years I had my license. Never really had any problems. Only times I ever got stuck was trying to drive through muddy cornfields.
Waynerd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do with a RWD 4cyl 2 door


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: