Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default what is this?

So im new to jeeps and leaf springs and I searched but I dont know what the part is even called, so its kinda hard to search for it. The precious owner said they "beefed" up the rear suspension for towing so im not sure if I should post here or modified section.

First pic is passenger side, which is about an inch lower than driver side. If you compare pics, you can see PS of the "mini-leafs"?? Is sitting lower on main leaf than driver side. First question.. what are they called, second question.. what is worn? Main leaf or that addon? Or did it just slide down and can be pushed back up? Ive looked in junkyards and online for the part, but none of the jeeps I saw had that add on leaf thing and I dont know the name of it so I had no luck searching online. Any help is greatly appreciated.

what is this?-forumrunner_20130830_111848.jpg

what is this?-forumrunner_20130830_111909.jpg

what is this?-forumrunner_20130830_112332.jpg
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88 limited

Looks like overload springs
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Looks like a larger leaf added under the original leaf pack. It should not be bent like that. It was done incorrectly also, as it is a larger leaf under the bottom leaf of the original which is much smaller. Unless it is something I am not aware of.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

It doesnt extend to the front, it is only on the backside if the axle, rear section of leaf pack. Dont know if the pictures are clear im doing all this from my phone.

what is this?-forumrunner_20130830_114209.jpg
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by je4reyk
Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by je4reyk
Yep. Don't see those on XJ's much.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Ok, so the sagging, is it the overload spring or the leaf? And from how it looks, it seems the ps has slid down some in comparison to the ds. Is that the case where I can re adjust it, or is it time to remove/ replace it. That brings me to another question. Are the overload springs giving more of a lift? If so I need to replace it until I get my lift put together. Sorry for so many questions. Im a REAL noob with jeeps.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

From the top of the axle tube to the frame should be 6&3/4 in the front, and 6 in the rear for stock height.

Those are "helper" springs, I don't believe I've heard of those as overload springs. the overloads I have on mine are thick and near flat, while not clamped to the rest of the pack so in the event the suspension is "overloaded" they are there to stiffen things up. Where as those ones are there doing their thing the whole time. Issue with having those is that they could be the only thing holding up your jeep. I've yet to see a stock xj under a 98 with "intact" leaf springs: they sag easily.

I wouldn't put another 1500 miles on those, they seem sketchy. What kind of rear suspension does your lift come with?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
From the top of the axle tube to the frame should be 6&3/4 in the front, and 6 in the rear for stock height.

Those are "helper" springs, I don't believe I've heard of those as overload springs. the overloads I have on mine are thick and near flat, while not clamped to the rest of the pack so in the event the suspension is "overloaded" they are there to stiffen things up. Where as those ones are there doing their thing the whole time. Issue with having those is that they could be the only thing holding up your jeep. I've yet to see a stock xj under a 98 with "intact" leaf springs: they sag easily.

I wouldn't put another 1500 miles on those, they seem sketchy. What kind of rear suspension does your lift come with?
I dont have a lift yet. ive still been researching what I'd like and what I need to accomplish it.

since we bought this last year in march weve put about 21K miles on her, trails, gulches, mountains, beach, etc.. I'll check the height on her in a bit. have some errands to do.

the rear on PS side is 7" from tube to frame with the 31's on. DS is 7 1/4" from tube to frame.

Last edited by Bluemister2; 08-30-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Looks like 1/2 of one of these:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...FalcMgodUDgAxQ
Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
yea it kinda looks like that except on the underneath, minus the front section and only one "hooked" end.

I really want to know if what you can see in the pictures(each side) is fixable, like lifting PS rear and manually lining the helper/overload spring like driverside is,(passenger side is not on the black bump like driverside is) or I need to start on replacing with a lift. I was hoping to wait a little longer before getting a lift because I wanted to research more, but if I need to I can start getting my rear lift together.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I would get that jazz out of there and proceed with your lift, if you do it right, you only do it once.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I would get that jazz out of there and proceed with your lift, if you do it right, you only do it once.

agreed, which is why I was hoping everything would last until I was ready the PO was an engineer and they used the jeep for towing they're camper. they were an older couple and he even told me afterwards that if I ever needed to do any work on it I could call him and bring it over and he'd let me use him workshop. He was a pretty cool guy and the jeep was in immaculate condition.... then I got a hold of it. :/