Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Welding to grade 8 bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 liter in line 6
Default Welding to grade 8 bolts?

Hi folks - first post on here for me.I'm currently working on an older Jeep (89 Cherokee) and re-doing the ball joints. It has been a LONG LONG time since I have pulled wrenches on a rig. Some of the bolts holding this thing together are grade 8 and are castellated headed. Hell I never saw one of those before! They are a pain to work with and I am thinking of just welding a standard hex nut over the castelled head so I can use a standard wrench on these stinking things when I go to put them back in (if I ever get the darn things out!). Anyone know why it would not work out OK? I have a Miller 250 MIG - a lincoln 110V MIG w/ flux core setup in it and an older AC/DC stick machine. I plan to use the Miller with 70S6 wire
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Welding

You can buy a rod for hardened steel but I don't know If I would drive on them because welding on hardened steel actually makes the material brittle Im sure you could get it in a flux core spool also but I would probabally buy new bolts because you would actually be welding two different types of metal you could also try a 309 rod for stainless to mild steel the hardened steel rod is mainly for buckets on heavy equipment you can try it if you do let me know how it works out for you