Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Welded door on XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Welded door on XJ

OK, this is gonna be a really strange and unusual question, but I am hoping some of you might have some ideas about....

I bought this beater '88 XJ knowing that it had some issues to work through, and I have been working through them reasonably well so far. The biggest issue, however, is that the passenger front door has been welded on, because the door hinge had become broken...

There are doors galore to choose from at the pick-a-part, but none of them will do me no good until I can get the welded door off! This is the problem because I can determine where exactly it has been welded to keep it shut! It should be a simple grinding off with an angle grinder, but I can't see where the weld was made!

Where might I look to find such a weld?

(IMO, this was the most redneck, ghetto, bullsheet thing to do...weld the door shut...but no matter, I need to get this stupid door off! :/ )
Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Bust out the grinder. If it was me I would just look at some pictures to determine where the body line is then tape a line and go to town.

Edit: if the hinge is still broken, you'll have to weld it back on.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
OK, this is gonna be a really strange and unusual question, but I am hoping some of you might have some ideas about....

I bought this beater '88 XJ knowing that it had some issues to work through, and I have been working through them reasonably well so far. The biggest issue, however, is that the passenger front door has been welded on, because the door hinge had become broken...

There are doors galore to choose from at the pick-a-part, but none of them will do me no good until I can get the welded door off! This is the problem because I can determine where exactly it has been welded to keep it shut! It should be a simple grinding off with an angle grinder, but I can't see where the weld was made!

Where might I look to find such a weld?

(IMO, this was the most redneck, ghetto, bullsheet thing to do...weld the door shut...but no matter, I need to get this stupid door off! :/ )
Sounds like broken latch or disconnected rod in door .