Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default dual exhaust

I'm 71 yrs old and have a 00 cherokee w/4.0 ltr. It has exhaust headers going into a single pipe. When I was a punk teenager,it was so cool to hear 6cyl chevys etc. w/split exhaust manifolds.Has anyone ever put true dual exhaust on their xj's? Is there room for pipes etc. What do you do about o2 sensors? Exhaust shops I've talked to say to leave it alone due to o2 sensors. this will probably be my last carand would like to hear that great sound if its possible and not cost more than the car is worth!!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

i think that it cant be done because the 4.0 ho needs backpressure, dont quote me though
Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

It is possible, but not necessary. There is not a whole lot of room underneath either. IF you don't 4wheel it then that shouldnt neccessarily matter. But, my suggestion would just be to put a muffler of your choice on it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

you can go dual after the O2 sensor.. or cat... it wont sound any diff I think
Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by jerrops
I'm 71 yrs old and have a 00 cherokee w/4.0 ltr. It has exhaust headers going into a single pipe. When I was a punk teenager,it was so cool to hear 6cyl chevys etc. w/split exhaust manifolds.Has anyone ever put true dual exhaust on their xj's? Is there room for pipes etc. What do you do about o2 sensors? Exhaust shops I've talked to say to leave it alone due to o2 sensors. this will probably be my last carand would like to hear that great sound if its possible and not cost more than the car is worth!!
Thats awesome! I hope when I have that many years under my belt I still want to make my vehicles sound good! But I've never heard of anyone splitting an inline 6 into duals. I have a glass pack on mine and it sounds pretty good. It had a dynomax when I got it that probably sounded better but it was quieter and it started rattling so I ditched it.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Year: 1988

i'm actually considering doing this exact same thing myself to my 1988 XJ, my idea was to use a split manifold, but borrow the idea ford used for the 5.0 in the '89 F150, use a tube large enough to hold the o2 sensor, then put the o2 sensor bung in the center, this should be about a 1/2inch or 3/4inch tube welded between the two splits of the manifold on the "leg pipes" so the exhaust pulse will actually be pushed across the o2 as the engine runs, then run both pipes side by side towards the back, and exit in front of the rear drivers side or rear passengers side tire, and use whatever muffler you'd like
i'm 28, and i remember my first jeep was an '84 XJ that we yanked the stock four banger (after a wreck) and shoehorned in a 4.3L Chevrolet v6 with 3.8 heads, dual plain intake manifold, true dual exhaust, 4 barrel carb, and cam, i was running 16 inch cherry bomb glass packs, and that's how i did my exhaust on the passengers side at a 45 degree angle in front of the pass rear tire, the 4.2 in my dads CJ-7 we did similar from a split pace-setter header (Tri-Y i think they called it), anyways just my .02 cents currently though my '88 has no cat, and just a 20 or so inch thrush glass pack on stock(ish) 2.25" I.D. pipe
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't split the pipes, and just run the O2 in one of the pipes........................You would be only reading the exhaust of 3 of your 6 cylinders, but you should get the same reading.............If it is reading the ratio of oxygen in your exhaust, it should be the same ratio if you read the front 3 cylinders, the back 3, or all 6..........................as long as the engine is running correctly, and all 6 are firing.........
Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Having true dual exhaust makes sense if you have a V6 or V8. An inline motor would experience no benefit from having 3 cylinders into one exhaust and the other 3 into another.

Despite this, I have seen 2 muffler, 2 exhaust tips kits available...but I would say that a single muffler kit of larger bore would be better and sound just as awesome!

Keep on truckin'!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
Having true dual exhaust makes sense if you have a V6 or V8. An inline motor would experience no benefit from having 3 cylinders into one exhaust and the other 3 into another.

Despite this, I have seen 2 muffler, 2 exhaust tips kits available...but I would say that a single muffler kit of larger bore would be better and sound just as awesome!

Keep on truckin'!

This.

Putting (a non-true) dual exhaust past the o2 would just make it more of a pain in the *** since it's just more metal that will inevitably rust in a few years (especially here in the rust belt)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Here's a true story on splitting the exhaust on an inline six. Did this as a kid on my 60 Ranchero. Lots of room to do it. But the guy at the muffler shop split it 4 and 2. Mainly to use the existing manifold. And there was an easy spot to cut and cap it at 4 and 2. From there I ran dual exhaust to side angle tips coming out in front of the rear tires. Looked cool. AND the asymmetric sound was awesome! Guys were always asking me if I had a 289 under the hood! In reality, just 200 cubic inches of junk and rust. It was fun and life was simple.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:40 PM

Year: 1987

This looks like a its is setup for you. That and put an x-pipe with and O2 bung. That or just like the other guy said just use the one there.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Having true dual exhaust makes sense if you have a V6 or V8. An inline motor would experience no benefit from having 3 cylinders into one exhaust and the other 3 into another........
Really????? U r kidding, right????? How does one block configuration over another have anything to do with exhaust scavenging?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 AM

Year: 1996

Back in "the day" there were many inline 6's with true dual exhaust systems.Some of em sounded awesome!. There were inline 6's with 2 and 3 carbs. and 4 barrels
I think the main problem with the XJ is where to run the extra pipe.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by djb383
Really????? U r kidding, right????? How does one block configuration over another have anything to do with exhaust scavenging?
Is spending a few hundred dollars more for custom headers and extra exhaust routing worth the five extra HP you might gain? If money is no object than have at it. (Assuming the header was of equal length runners)

In an inline motor with single exhaust system, all the exhaust pulses would be synchronized and effect scavenging efficiently.

I could just be kidding though...

Last edited by Crazy 8s; 10-21-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Keep on truckin'!
Is spending a few hundred dollars more for custom headers and extra exhaust routing worth the five extra HP you might gain? If money is no object than have at it. (Assuming the header was of equal length runners)

In an inline motor with single exhaust system, all the exhaust pulses would be synchronized and effect scavenging efficiently.

I could just be kidding though...
Wait a minute.......u r changing your original statement from block configuration, to how much money is spent. Really??????......I get it, u really r kidding, or just guessing.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust