Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

weird issue I cant figure out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default weird issue I cant figure out.

Ok, im going to try and make this as short and sweat as possible so bare with me.

Story is, I picked up my latest xj for a steal from a friend going into it knowing it has issues. The Jeep had gotten joy road in by some fool who was suppost to weld a D ring on the bumper and the moron blow the engine up (thats a really long story) so the friend that I baught this thing from instead of killing said moron, he simply told him to get it running agian... well "moron" did a full blown junk yard swap, everything even sensers.... Now heres the issues

The jeep starts and idles good, not perfect but to good, I think, for this issue to be the TPS. Now in the morning, I back up onto the road, put it in gear and go, it will drive PERFECT and feel right untill I get up to about 25mph and then its like someone throws an anchor out, its starts to vibrate a little bit and it just like bogs, the engine will then start to sputter apon acceleration then clear out once your roling, its like the brakes are dragging, they are not, but that is what it feels like. If you hold about a 15% throttle it will sputter, 20% on up it sounds normal...

after it does it the first time it will continue to do it untill its been shut off and sat for a while, then it will kinda do the same thing... Now right when it starts this weird thing, the speedo starts going insane, spinning around jumping up to 85 mph then zero....

My friend thought that the issue might be the torque converter, either loose or going bad... Im thinking that its electrical. I cannot put my finger on the freakin problem though...

PS the engine has a tone of pre detination ticking under load... only other thing that I can say that it does is it when under load because of the lack of power, heavy throttle, it has a little wistle that sounds almost like a vacuum leak...

the trans shifts smooth...I can answer any questions about what its doing but its a pretty funky problem to explain...now its a 92jeep with a now 95 motor, they did try a different ECU but did the same thing, and it has had a full tune up, new cap and rotor, plugs, wires...

anybody got some ideas? Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Tomxj48
Ok, im going to try and make this as short and sweat as possible so bare with me.

Story is, I picked up my latest xj for a steal from a friend going into it knowing it has issues. The Jeep had gotten joy road in by some fool who was suppost to weld a D ring on the bumper and the moron blow the engine up (thats a really long story) so the friend that I baught this thing from instead of killing said moron, he simply told him to get it running agian... well "moron" did a full blown junk yard swap, everything even sensers.... Now heres the issues

The jeep starts and idles good, not perfect but to good, I think, for this issue to be the TPS. Now in the morning, I back up onto the road, put it in gear and go, it will drive PERFECT and feel right untill I get up to about 25mph and then its like someone throws an anchor out, its starts to vibrate a little bit and it just like bogs, the engine will then start to sputter apon acceleration then clear out once your roling, its like the brakes are dragging, they are not, but that is what it feels like. If you hold about a 15% throttle it will sputter, 20% on up it sounds normal...

after it does it the first time it will continue to do it untill its been shut off and sat for a while, then it will kinda do the same thing... Now right when it starts this weird thing, the speedo starts going insane, spinning around jumping up to 85 mph then zero....

My friend thought that the issue might be the torque converter, either loose or going bad... Im thinking that its electrical. I cannot put my finger on the freakin problem though...

PS the engine has a tone of pre detination ticking under load... only other thing that I can say that it does is it when under load because of the lack of power, heavy throttle, it has a little wistle that sounds almost like a vacuum leak...

the trans shifts smooth...I can answer any questions about what its doing but its a pretty funky problem to explain...now its a 92jeep with a now 95 motor, they did try a different ECU but did the same thing, and it has had a full tune up, new cap and rotor, plugs, wires...

anybody got some ideas? Thanks
i would change a bunch of the sensors
first off the MAP sensor
then i IAC
and if that dont fix it ur only 40 bucks down and ur jeep prolly needs em anyways
could be a vaccum leak or may even just need a tune up
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM

and maybe even try adjusting the timing a degree or two
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by widefieldcherokee
and maybe even try adjusting the timing a degree or two

Its a 92, all timing is adjusted by the PCM. and as I said it has had a tune up.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM

actually that has me thinking, I wonder if the PCM itself is bad.... Has anyone had to replace theres?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

check the map sensor.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

find out what year engine he used..it could be that some of the sensors are not correct for the jeep..if he just through in the jy engine and plugged it in
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '91 had a similar sputter affect occurring. I replaced every sensor etc... It turned out to be the IAC. I just throughly cleaned the crap out of it, reassembled it and all was well.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
check the map sensor.

So out of sheer luck, I had another used MAP senser in a box of parts, swapped it out and knock on wood, the problem showed up for a second then kinda cleared up?? lol Im not totaly sure if that is the fix yet because I have not drove her enough to really know, everyone is battening the hatches for the blizzered of 011, so I had to go fight of the crouds at wally world, probably will spend most of the marrow pulling people out of ditches so we'll see....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

So out of sheer luck, I had another used MAP senser in a box of parts, swapped it out and knock on wood, the problem showed up for a second then kinda cleared up?? lol Im not totaly sure if that is the fix yet because I have not drove her enough to really know, everyone is battening the hatches for the blizzered of 011, so I had to go fight of the crouds at wally world, probably will spend most of the marrow pulling people out of ditches so we'll see....
lol do i get a prize for being right? jkjk! well good i hope it stays fixed.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM

I do to
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

good luck down there in the snow...i was alabama for there snow storm last year....the south is not equipt for the snow idk about the carolinas but i've seen snow in bama and VA both times was not fun (locals don't understand changing driving habits for it) good days for the tow yards lol
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM

LOL that was the first thing i said to do to haha
but also CLEAN that vaccum line that goes to your map sensor
those things get clogged and ull be scratchin ur head forever
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by widefieldcherokee
LOL that was the first thing i said to do to haha
but also CLEAN that vaccum line that goes to your map sensor
those things get clogged and ull be scratchin ur head forever

Havnt had a chance to yet to much snow and ice, but what did you experience when yours was dirty... assuming you have had the issue.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Havnt had a chance to yet to much snow and ice, but what did you experience when yours was dirty... assuming you have had the issue.
it was like sputtering real bad
NO power at all
i couldnt even make it down my block without it jerkin and tryin to die on me
so i put a brand new MAP sensor in and it made it better but still sputtered a little when i just barely tapped the gas and was idleing real low sow i took off that line and cleaned it and bam problem solved