Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird idle and wont rev after idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Weird idle and wont rev after idling

i've never really had much trouble out of my 97 XJ until now, a few months ago i went to pull out a friend of mine in sand and my jeep sat running for about 10 minutes in 75 degree weather, when i had finished winching him out, i could give it full throttle and it would be hesitating like im out of gas and wouldn't rev up, if i kept pumping it would finally rev up but was stumbling like crazy, once i hit the road and it cooled off it was fine, it only reached about 215 on the temp guage.
i thought it was my E3 plugs so i threw in some new champions, i went christmas lighting and had to leave early cuz after 20 minutes of idling it reached 215 and did the same thing, whole engine shaking like it wasnt getting sufficient gas, maybe the gas got too hot to burn? when i would fev it up to 4 and hold it for like 30 seconds it was fine for like 10 minutes then it would start doing it again, its like the gas got too hot and didnt like to burn. i have the neon injectors in it. what do yall think? and it was 60 degrees outside
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 AM

Sounds like you may have a fuel filter problem .. Trash in the tank clogging the filter or your engine is trying to vapor lock ( fuel lines getting to hot and vaporizing the gas before it reaches the engine ) .. first check and make sure you lines are protected properly from the exhaust , then run some seafoam through the motor .. do 1/3 in the vac port from the brake booster , 1/3 in the tank , and 1/3 in the oil to try and bust up any contamination in the fuel system, injectors and combustion chamber .

You may also have a faulty plug wire that is grounding out . check all your wires and make sure they ar all in good working order , along with dist. cap . if any dust got in the cap it can cause a disruption in spark delivery .

Last edited by dino30; 12-24-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by dino30
Sounds like you may have a fuel filter problem .. Trash in the tank clogging the filter or your engine is trying to vapor lock ( fuel lines getting to hot and vaporizing the gas before it reaches the engine ) .. first check and make sure you lines are protected properly from the exhaust , then run some seafoam through the motor .. do 1/3 in the vac port from the brake booster , 1/3 in the tank , and 1/3 in the oil to try and bust up any contamination in the fuel system, injectors and combustion chamber .

You may also have a faulty plug wire that is grounding out . check all your wires and make sure they ar all in good working order , along with dist. cap . if any dust got in the cap it can cause a disruption in spark delivery .
its been awhile since i have done any of that, it prob needs new wires cap and rotor. i'll try it and see what happens, thanks!