Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird blinker issue & battery temp sensor harness question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Weird blinker issue & battery temp sensor harness question

Hi Cherokeeforum,

I am new to jeeps, but not new to cars. I have two questions about a recently acquired 2001 jeep cherokee XJ that I cannot seem to solve. I joined the forum to hopefully solve these issues.

1) 2k miles on a completely rebuilt motor. I bought it knowing it had a CEL for P1492, which is the battery temp sensor. No biggie, I went and purchased a sensor and when I went to replace it... i discovered that the whole harness is missing. I have traced the engine harness to where it seems like the previous owner has just clipped it (I assume to do a wire tuck), but I do not know which wires go to what.

I searched the internet but I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram for this. Can someone let me know which two wires go into the temp sensor? I can create my own pig tail and connect it back to the engine harness.

2) Passenger side blinker under the headlight blinks really fast. The cause of this is normally a bad bulb. I found the bulb that was "out" and replaced it. The problem still remains. I swapped the two bulbs with each other, and it seems like the problem lies in the harness and not the bulb. The dual filament bulb will light up but it will not "flash."

Is this a wiring problem? a relay issue? The bulb is getting power but it just doesnt seem to want to flash.

Thanks for any advice! I am stumped and I appreciate any help I can get!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Battery Temp?? Too new to me, beyond my tech savy.
The blinker could be a bad socket, I've had to replace two front and one rear socket, some corrosion and the socket to bulb power conveyance became erratic or failed. Start with some contact cleaner spray, a test light probe may be required for continuity analyses.
Also check a second bulb (2 per pack?), I've had a bad bulb staight from the pack.
Single vs dual filaments are not necessarilly interchangeable, not in my older plug sockets.
This thread is open to suggestion of confirming the blinker fluid level, do that as a last resort.
Consider replacing your blinker relay (often located near the fuse panel, but design techs may have hidden elsewhere by year 2001)
Old 01-17-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Check that all bulbs on that side work. Front, side, rear.

As to batt temp sensor, never heard of that either. Where does it touch battery?

Well it does exist: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...parttype,10478

Last edited by Larry's XJ; 01-17-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: new info
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM

The battery temp sensor was only installed in 00-01 XJs. I may purchase a helms manual to solve this issue.

I've checked all the blinkers but I will make sure the socket isn't bad. Is there a way to test for this?

I really appreciate the help!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by erykv1
The battery temp sensor was only installed in 00-01 XJs. I may purchase a helms manual to solve this issue.

I've checked all the blinkers but I will make sure the socket isn't bad. Is there a way to test for this?

My '99 has a batt temp sensor and I think the OBD-II Jeep XJ's all have them.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Hi Cherokeeforum,

I am new to jeeps, but not new to cars. I have two questions about a recently acquired 2001 jeep cherokee XJ that I cannot seem to solve. I joined the forum to hopefully solve these issues.

1) 2k miles on a completely rebuilt motor. I bought it knowing it had a CEL for P1492, which is the battery temp sensor. No biggie, I went and purchased a sensor and when I went to replace it... i discovered that the whole harness is missing. I have traced the engine harness to where it seems like the previous owner has just clipped it (I assume to do a wire tuck), but I do not know which wires go to what.

I searched the internet but I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram for this. Can someone let me know which two wires go into the temp sensor? I can create my own pig tail and connect it back to the engine harness.

2) Passenger side blinker under the headlight blinks really fast. The cause of this is normally a bad bulb. I found the bulb that was "out" and replaced it. The problem still remains. I swapped the two bulbs with each other, and it seems like the problem lies in the harness and not the bulb. The dual filament bulb will light up but it will not "flash."

Is this a wiring problem? a relay issue? The bulb is getting power but it just doesnt seem to want to flash.

Thanks for any advice! I am stumped and I appreciate any help I can get!
One wire is Brown/Yellow tracer, AWG 20. Batt Temp Sensor Ground. It goes to the sensor ground network and ends up at the PCM. Pin 2 of the batt sensor connector. This wire does not go to engine or chassis ground - it is a PCM ground thing.

The other is Pink/Yellow tracer, AWG 18. This is the Batt Temp Sensor Signal wire. It goes to the PCM. Pin 1 of the batt sensor connector. This wire goes thruogh connector C107, a large connector in a group of three connectors at the trans dipstick.

Last edited by CCKen; 01-17-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Start by eyeballing the bulb socket. Look for corrosion.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

The side marker lamp is in the same circuit as the turn signal lamps (under the headlamp). Verify that the side marker bulb is not burned out/inop.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
One wire is Brown/Yellow tracer, AWG 20. Batt Temp Sensor Ground. It goes to the sensor ground network and ends up at the PCM. Pin 2 of the batt sensor connector. This wire does not go to engine or chassis ground - it is a PCM ground thing.

The other is Pink/Yellow tracer, AWG 18. This is the Batt Temp Sensor Signal wire. It goes to the PCM. Pin 1 of the batt sensor connector. This wire goes thruogh connector C107, a large connector in a group of three connectors at the trans dipstick.
Here's a pic of the batt temp sensor body harness connector pinout.

Name:  2000BattTempSensor.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  8.4 KB
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's a pic of the batt temp sensor body harness connector pinout.

Thanks for your help CCKen,

I just picked up a complete un-hacked up wiring harness off craigslist the other day and I will use that instead to save any headaches.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

Question: what is a battery temperature sensor used for? I read it has something to do with alternator battery charging. Why did older xi's not have them, and am I missing out?