Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weekend offroading, jeep broken! :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Weekend offroading, jeep broken! :(

I have these error codes from my check engine light now:
  • 24* Throttle position sensor over 4.96V (SEE NOTE #3)
  • 45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)
  • 47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low
I took my '97 4.0L I6 automatic cherokee offroading over the weekend and had no problems on the first half of the trail, got to the end and did a BBQ for a few hours with the Jeep off. Started it back up just fine, but about 2 minutes into the ride out the engine light came on. When idling or going too slow in 4WD (did not have this issue in 2WD until the next day) my RPMs would drop over the course of 30-45 seconds down to zero and the engine would cut off. I then put it in 2WD and did not have this problem, finished the trail out in 2WD and once I hit the highway I hooked my swaybars back up.

Driving down the highway I now suffered from the jeep death wobble but only between 25-35mph, once I broke 35 it was not an issue but when driving at those speeds I would have a serious wobble start up every couple minutes at bumps and turns. The boots on my link bar are completely torn apart, will this cause a death wobble at these speeds? I am replacing the boots tonight when I leave work.

I spend all sunday in my Haynes book and on the internet trying to solve the issues, all I could manage to figure out was that my engine wasn't getting enough gas so I took a 1/16" nut and put it below my throttle control and the extra height on my throttle kept enough gas running into the engine so that it no longer stalls. This extra height also got rid of error 47, I assume because the inrease of RPMs increased the alternator output and thus kept the battery charged?

As far as the turbo boost limit, everything I could find about this error suggested a leak in a hose running from a turbocharger but I do not have a turbo on my jeep. It is the 4.0L I6, the only modification is a cold air intake I installed yesterday.

Thanks so much for any help, I do not know the most about cars but I want to learn and I have the tools and time to do most of my own work! If any parts need replacing I also have a 2001 cherokee XJ 5-spd manual that I can gut parts from as they break on the '97
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

I can assure you that code 45 is wrong, lol
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

With a voltage that high on your tps theres a connection issue somewhere.. Perhaps it's disconnected altogether or the 5v ref signal got shorted to the signal wire.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

yea ditto on a connection issue. i used to have over-voltage problems on a 300zx because of a terrible ground that took forever to track down. so checking your grounds might be a good idea
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

i want a turbo 4.0!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Engine: I6 4.0L

i think the turbo code was either misread or a wrong code being thrown from the diesel version that ive seen in my service manual
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by 3x-xj
i want a turbo 4.0!

x2
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Mine ran the same way and I put a new tps on it and now it runs great I would say a new tps should fix your running prob
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

idk what shape your engine and all its components are in, but there is a good chance that something(s) not working properly. you have the 97, so i think all parts are the same between ours. some of the first things to check for a smooth running vehicle:
-battery and all its wiring
-cap/rotor
-plugs/wires
-TPS (id guess this is bad cause that first code you listed...)
-IAC valve
-o2 sensors

chances are that something on that list will help smooth it out. you need to get it on an actual code reader. there can even be codes stored in there that didnt trip the CEL.

your lower speed death wobble could be a couple of things. your u joints could be bad, or maybe there is mud caked to the rim, or you pulled a wheel weight off on the trail... if its not these things, then your front ends needs to be checked. id say make sure everything in this pic is good:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/align...lignment01.jpg

as for your turbo over boosting, well, i guess get a bigger waste gate... haha, but in reality... its either a miss-read code, or that intake you installed but thats very unlikely. ive seen all different intake setups and they never trip the CEL. you can even run it w/o an intake hose at all... obviously not recommended, but if you gotta see the TB working, or something, then its all good... i wonder if its a vac leak, or something of the nature?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, it turns out that my alternator was going out (and is now dead). I was told that that would make my jeep spit out funny codes if it's not getting enough power (hence the turbo one).

I started my jeep up one morning and the CEL was off and everything ran fine, was heading downtown to pick up a friend and my alternator died completely. I'm planning to replace the alternator & battery (it needs it) and run it like that to see how she behaves.

As for the death wobble, I replaced all my bushing on my tie rod & drag link and rotated my tires. This helped quite a bit but it's still there, just not AS bad as before. I've noticed under my other jeep and my friends that some track bar connect to bolts (like the one in this picture you showed me) but mine connects to a ball joint, why is this?

Also, should the ball joint look dirty like everything else or should it shine? I had read that shiny was bad because it meant extra rubbing and the ball joint my track bar connects to looks like a new piece of chrome.