Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weekend "to do" list...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Weekend "to do" list...

So it looks like I'm gonna be buddies with the 91 for a while. I had a 99 that a buddy of mine who runs a jeep dealer was gonna whole sale to me, but some crap went down with the bankruptcy court and it got taken back... So I have some stuff I need to take care of on the red 91. First of all I have a bad grinding noise when I am making a sharp left turn from a dead stop. I am pretty sure that it's the u joints, so I'm going to put some new ones on. I am also planning on changing the diff fluid in the front while I'm at it to eliminate that as a possibility. I also have some really brown tranny fluid that I am planning on changing. Just dropping the pan and replacing the filter and gasket then adding new fluid. Is there any risk involved doing this type of change on a 21 year old jeep with 192k miles? I'm just worried that the gunk in the tranny is all that's holding it together, although it does shift much better than my 96 2wd did. Anyway, that is what I am hoping to accomplish this weekend along with fixing my brake noise. My main question was about the tranny fluid. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I'm no mechanic but I wouldn't think simply draining the fluid, changing the filter and filling with new fluid would be a problem. I wouldn't flush it though at that age and mileage. I say go for it! Especially if it's that nasty of a color.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Drain and fill repeatedly over the course of the next year. Don't want to change the tranny fluid all in one shot at that age.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM

So probably a Better idea to do it gradually?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith823
So probably a Better idea to do it gradually?
Yes. Drain what is in the pan; it will be between 3 and 4 quarts. Drive for a while, then repeat until fluid stays red.

When fluid stays red in color, if you think filter maintenance hasn't been done, it would be a good idea to drop the pan and replace (or at least clean) the filter. It's really just a screen.

Use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid here. I would NOT use ATF+4 fluid, no matter what the parts store says. A while back Chrysler blessed the use of this, but it also has been directly tied to "slippage" in some (not all) AW4 transmissions. With absolutely no risk using Dex/Merc III, why would you take the chance? That is the fluid that the AW4 was designed for and is perfectly adequate for a long life for this transmission.

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Yes. Drain what is in the pan; it will be between 3 and 4 quarts. Drive for a while, then repeat until fluid stays red.

When fluid stays red in color, if you think filter maintenance hasn't been done, it would be a good idea to drop the pan and replace (or at least clean) the filter. It's really just a screen.

Use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid here. I would NOT use ATF+4 fluid, no matter what the parts store says. A while back Chrysler blessed the use of this, but it also has been directly tied to "slippage" in some (not all) AW4 transmissions. With absolutely no risk using Dex/Merc III, why would you take the chance? That is the fluid that the AW4 was designed for and is perfectly adequate for a long life for this transmission.
So drain EVERYTHING in the pan and refill?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

So drain EVERYTHING in the pan and refill?
Yup, there's a drain plug on the pan. Pull it and wait till it stops. Replace through the dipstick tube with the same volume of nice red Dex/Merc III.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

So it looks like I'm gonna be buddies with the 91 for a while. I had a 99 that a buddy of mine who runs a jeep dealer was gonna whole sale to me, but some crap went down with the bankruptcy court and it got taken back... So I have some stuff I need to take care of on the red 91. First of all I have a bad grinding noise when I am making a sharp left turn from a dead stop. I am pretty sure that it's the u joints, so I'm going to put some new ones on. I am also planning on changing the diff fluid in the front while I'm at it to eliminate that as a possibility. I also have some really brown tranny fluid that I am planning on changing. Just dropping the pan and replacing the filter and gasket then adding new fluid. Is there any risk involved doing this type of change on a 21 year old jeep with 192k miles? I'm just worried that the gunk in the tranny is all that's holding it together, although it does shift much better than my 96 2wd did. Anyway, that is what I am hoping to accomplish this weekend along with fixing my brake noise. My main question was about the tranny fluid. Thanks for reading!
The dipstick was stuck to my tranny pan and I had to unbolt the dipstick to lower the pan to change the filter. Plus there are like 19 10mm screws on the pan and 6ish on the filter. If it's not leaking, I'd just change the fluid a couple of times with transmission fluid from Walmart and call it a day. Don't use synthetic, it slips and you actually lose gas mileage.

It does shift better with new fluid.

Just a noob...

Last edited by vespa50sp; 02-02-2012 at 11:13 PM.