Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ways to reseat a bead?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ways to reseat a bead?

I am going to try dynabeads in my trxus mud tires as one last effort to cure this shaking. I have to install them into the tire by popping one bead off. I am going to use the hi-jack to get the tire off on side and then pour in the beads. Is there a trick to re-seating the bead? I tried the ratchet strap trick before but that didn't work. I only need one side of the tire reseated.

What's the trick?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

remove the valvestem when putting air in the tire.

air gets in there MUCH faster making it easier to seat
Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take starting fluid (or some type of flamable spray) and spray in the tire (you dont need to spray that much) and then take a BBQ lighter and light it and it will pop back on the bead.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
remove the valvestem when putting air in the tire.

air gets in there MUCH faster making it easier to seat
So i just air it up like that? Don't you have to put pressure on the tire so the bead is pressing against the wheel or something?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1SickCherokee
Take starting fluid (or some type of flamable spray) and spray in the tire (you dont need to spray that much) and then take a BBQ lighter and light it and it will pop back on the bead.
Not a very good thing to do with dynabeads in the tire.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Not a very good thing to do with dynabeads in the tire.
That could create some nice shrapnel. I've seen it done with lighter fluid. If you do it right when you throw the match, the match will stay in the tire so you can hear it bounce around.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Shane01638
That could create some nice shrapnel. I've seen it done with lighter fluid. If you do it right when you throw the match, the match will stay in the tire so you can hear it bounce around.
Yeah i've seen videos of that in action. I don't trust myself doing that, nor do i want to risk these tires/wheels/beads doing it. I'm gonna try what I saw on JP magazine.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Another factor to consider mudd is that a tire that has been set on the bead and run at all will be much more likely to rebead without all that drama. Just pull the core out of the valve stem and have a good head of air pressure and it should reseat just fine.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Another factor to consider mudd is that a tire that has been set on the bead and run at all will be much more likely to rebead without all that drama. Just pull the core out of the valve stem and have a good head of air pressure and it should reseat just fine.
I'm gonna use the air machine at the local BP gas station. Think it has enough juice to get the bead on?

The last time i did this, (with the exact same tire/wheel), the air kept leaking out of the tire through the bead. It wasn't even close to being seated. I'm hoping i get luckier this time.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by muddeprived
I'm gonna use the air machine at the local BP gas station. Think it has enough juice to get the bead on?

The last time i did this, (with the exact same tire/wheel), the air kept leaking out of the tire through the bead. It wasn't even close to being seated. I'm hoping i get luckier this time.
If the BP has a large compressor you will be fine. If they have the quarter ones it won't work.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
If the BP has a large compressor you will be fine. If they have the quarter ones it won't work.
It's the vacuum/air compressor. Yeah it takes quarters, all of them do. It's kinda big though, taller than me.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

Originally Posted by 1SickCherokee
done this several times but with the beads in there i wouldnt recomend it. i would try the strap trick again since it has been seated.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Nothing worked. I gave up and let the shop do it. The guy there said they were very difficult to get off the wheel cuz of the strong beads. No wonder.....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by muddeprived
Nothing worked. I gave up and let the shop do it. The guy there said they were very difficult to get off the wheel cuz of the strong beads. No wonder.....
a gas station air compressor only puts out 25psi you need to jsut take it to a tire shop or if you got a big air compressor just pull out the needle in the valve stem and give it a couple blast and it should pop on and keep your hands off the the tire i seen people break fingers and everything else when they leave there hands on it
Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Year: 1994

I wish i still had my pics of the guys down at the lake in winter blowing beads back on with lighter fluid. Ive seen 35's and 38's disintegrate through the sidewall and cause some serious forehead damage. Not always funny believe me. A tire shop or a buddy with a big compressor and a little soapy water works well on standard tires. Just hook on the air line and pull the tire towards the unseated bead. With those thick beaded tires some of you guys run, Id definitely let an expert do it. We used to seat tires on skid steer loaders with ether till we had one almost kill us all. BE CAREFUL!!

Quick Reply: ways to reseat a bead?