Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

WAY to many problems at once.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default WAY to many problems at once.

My jeep has been good to me and has only left me stranded once or twice the entire time i've owned it. I love the way she runs and drives most times. . . but this isnt one of those times. For some reason my jeep has started to skip/ cut out over the last few weeks, more and more often as the weeks progress. I was told this may be my CPS but wanted more input and things it could possibly be.

One other problem im having is that my clutch squeaks when you press it in and out (like a door creak and it only does it if the clutch pedal is moved) this only occurs if you push it in or out and not when its fully depressed or anything like that.

Yet another problem is that she shifts like crap now. The jeep used to shift pretty smooth but now its more of a clunky shift than a smooth one.

and on top of all that my brakes need replacing FML

any help or advice on this ? i just got up the money to get my lift and such and this happens.....a
Old 07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

The engine stuttering indeed sounds like a bad CPS. Not a terribly expensive part either. The squeeking clutch sounds like a squeeking clutch PEDAL. My '89 Gti had the same squeek in the brake pedal. Nothing a little WD40 wont fix. =) Good luck
Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kopecki
The engine stuttering indeed sounds like a bad CPS. Not a terribly expensive part either. The squeeking clutch sounds like a squeeking clutch PEDAL. My '89 Gti had the same squeek in the brake pedal. Nothing a little WD40 wont fix. =) Good luck
how hard is it to replace the CPS? and how much is this gonna cost me?

oh yeah and i thought the same thing about the pedal, but its coming from outside the vehicle and it only does it sometimes.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

The CPS isn't terribly difficult to replace, the hardest part is it's tight location as I have heard. I haven't personally replaced one on the I6 242 but it seems pretty straight forward. Can't be any worse than replacing the one on my '94 dodge ram. As for the squeeking clutch, the only thing I can think of is a linkage somewhere making metal to metal contact and rubbing. Just one of those things you have to inspect and search for.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

The CPS isn't terribly difficult to replace, the hardest part is it's tight location as I have heard. I haven't personally replaced one on the I6 242 but it seems pretty straight forward. Can't be any worse than replacing the one on my '94 dodge ram. As for the squeeking clutch, the only thing I can think of is a linkage somewhere making metal to metal contact and rubbing. Just one of those things you have to inspect and search for.
figured thats what i would have to do. guess ill have to do some researching though to find where the CPS is since i got a 4 banger and all
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
figured thats what i would have to do. guess ill have to do some researching though to find where the CPS is since i got a 4 banger and all
Yea, shouldn't be too hard to find info on it. If you need help let me know.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, shouldn't be too hard to find info on it. If you need help let me know.
thanks, hopefully my jeep will stay running like it is until i get the time to fix it
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

thanks, hopefully my jeep will stay running like it is until i get the time to fix it

Yea, we all hope for that when something goes wrong with our Jeeps. Good luck =)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

got my CPS the other day from autozone... $50... and it kinda sounds like this to me but most my experiance is if the CPS goes out... its dead... it wont even start... but others have said theres acted like yours is... so i would start with that... one plug... 2 bolts normally... thats all... squeeking is easy like stated above... alittle WD40... good to go... buy brakes at autozone... there lifetime warranty... that way when they wear out next time you can take the old ones up and swap them out... free brake job... get duralast... shifting funcky is due to low on clutch fluid or needs to be bled... probly... but thats where i would start as thats the cheapest bet... goodluck man...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
got my CPS the other day from autozone... $50... and it kinda sounds like this to me but most my experiance is if the CPS goes out... its dead... it wont even start... but others have said theres acted like yours is... so i would start with that... one plug... 2 bolts normally... thats all... squeeking is easy like stated above... alittle WD40... good to go... buy brakes at autozone... there lifetime warranty... that way when they wear out next time you can take the old ones up and swap them out... free brake job... get duralast... shifting funcky is due to low on clutch fluid or needs to be bled... probly... but thats where i would start as thats the cheapest bet... goodluck man...
My '94 Dodge Ram ran fine with a bad CPS. It would just randomly stall out while driving and not start back up for a good 20 minutes of cranking it. Some only occasionally have problems starting, but most, as you stated completely die.

P.S. I was reading your 6.2 build thread earlier. You've got some luck finding deals.....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

thanks for all the help, the father told me he didnt replace the wires and such when the spark plugs were replaced. So whether that has anything to do with it or not they're getting replaced (because for once im not buying it ) Very high hopes but figured it would at least make it run better after i found out that doesnt fix my problem and i replace the CPS lol. once again thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

My '94 Dodge Ram ran fine with a bad CPS. It would just randomly stall out while driving and not start back up for a good 20 minutes of cranking it. Some only occasionally have problems starting, but most, as you stated completely die.

P.S. I was reading your 6.2 build thread earlier. You've got some luck finding deals.....
I have zero luck... LOL... its all about research... and taking your time... If you wait long enough what your looking for will pop up either used or new that someone planned to use... on a deal... having the money at that time is the trick too... LOL... then just wheeling and dealing... knowing whats worth what to everyone... and what's worth what to the person buying/selling... once I finish the Comanche ill be able to get back in the Xj... and I'm excited bout both... I wanna go get this 6.2 in the junkyard that's a serpentine setup and start building it... can get a better deal on one but will be the vbelt setup...

thanks for all the help, the father told me he didnt replace the wires and such when the spark plugs were replaced. So whether that has anything to do with it or not they're getting replaced (because for once im not buying it ) Very high hopes but figured it would at least make it run better after i found out that doesnt fix my problem and i replace the CPS lol. once again thanks
Make sure u get the distributor cap and rotor button... Autozone also has lifetime on plug wires... acouple every tune up you can replace them free...