Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Washer Fluid Doesn't Eject

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 6 Cylinder
Default Washer Fluid Doesn't Eject

with the serious issue of my car not starting out of the way, I want to tackle a much smaller but easily aggravating problem: My windshield washer fluid doesnt Eject.

This has been an issue for over a year, and I cant figure out what the problem is (that said I havent really tried to solve it in the first place lol)

At first, my windshield ejectors stopped spraying, but the rear window wiper still worked with windshield washer fluid

then, after around 6 months, the back stopped working as well.

I checked, and there is still washer fluid inside the bin, and the need washer fluid light isnt on. Checked the fuses next to the battery, none fried. Any idea what might be causing this?

Edit: i dont think its a clog, at least not in the nozzels, cause no fluid appears on the hood, and nothing drips under the car. No liquid appears at all.

Last edited by Jeo228; 10-20-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

If someone tries to run the washer, can you hear either pump running? If not, you may have to pull your inner fender and see if you have power at the pumps, if you do, replace the pumps, easy to dox they're pushed into rubber grommets at the bittom of the bottle. Cheap and easy.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

there are 2 pumps. bottom one runs the front washer.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This should help:

Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

I having a problem with my front washer pump as well. I push the washer/wiper switch, the wippers and the pump do not work. I take off the pump and push the switch again the wippers work. I checked the pump to the battery the pump works. I checked the plug and the plug has power , when I push the switch. As soon as I plug the pump back on the plug the wipers stop working and pump does not work. Any help would help alot
Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

i recently opened my cowling in search for leaks and found that both hoses that lead to the nozzles to spray the front windshield were just popped off and dangling around in the cowling itself, ive pushed them back and tried to pull but stay on tight, someone must of been in there before and too lazy to plug them back up.

- Marc
Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

I am planning on doing this in the next few days.
My rear motor is dead. Was squealing for about a year or two.
Just need to figure out how to remove the wheel liner.
Video was helpful.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
I am planning on doing this in the next few days.
My rear motor is dead. Was squealing for about a year or two.
Just need to figure out how to remove the wheel liner.
Video was helpful.
It is easy to remove the wheel liner. If I remember correctly there are a bunch of plastic clips holding it on in various places. Similar to the 4th shot. Buy the tool at the first link to make life easier. Then there will be a bunch of, what I call, speed nuts (see the 5th shot), on the studs that are on the fender flare brackets. Pretty sure I did not have to remove the fender flare when I took mine out. And you will not want to if you don't have to because the studs on the brackets break real easy. But if you do new ones can be bought, kinda pricey, or you can fix them like I did. See the second link. Post #7 is what I did. Also when you take off the wheel liner you will find something like this at the back of the fender in front of the door hinges. The 1st shot is what it looks like whole. See the 2nd shot. That is what happens after time the glue deteriorates and the two pieces separate. Instead of reusing it on the advice of some fellow forum members I used a pool noodle. Cost you a buck at the Dollar Store. Of course my OCD would not let me use a neon color one so I paid $9 for a black one. 3" in diameter. Cut it to the appropriate length. Cut the diameter in half. Shoved it in there flat side first. See the 3rd shot.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769160

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...te-up-3728009/
Attached Thumbnails Washer Fluid Doesn't Eject-img_0578.jpg   Washer Fluid Doesn't Eject-img_0577.jpg   Washer Fluid Doesn't Eject-img_0592.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by Ralph77; 02-19-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Thanks for taking the time to write all that
I have the tool.
I will try to just move the front of the liner aside, and not remove all of it.

Last edited by BimmerJeeper; 02-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Thanks for taking the time to write all that
I have the tool.
I will try to just move the front of the liner aside, and not remove all of it.
No problem. I had mine open for other reasons and always do housekeeping when I open up areas. Usually POR 15. Wouldn't you know it that 3 months later the rear pump went. I saw how grungy they were but at that time I did not have pumps and my Jeep had been on jack stands for 2 weeks. I just wanted it back on the road. Now if I had followed my "well while we are here" motto I would not be going back in. So when I do I am replacing both pumps. And since my '00 has that washer fluid level sensor might do that to. LOL.