Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

VIDEO-Play in steering box???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default VIDEO-Play in steering box???

I have a 99' XJ with just over 150K miles. I have a Zone lift, with pucks and and a AAL/Bastard hybrid pack in the rear (original main leaf, AAL, and the rest S-10 Blazer leaves). New ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stab, drop pitman arms, upper and lower RC control arms (all done within a year or less).

My Goodyear 31's have about another 10K miles on them. I have always had a sense of "flighty" or "constantly having to over correc more than normal" steering. On very smooth roads, it tracks great when i don't have to add any steering wheel input. Multiple alignments, the axle is centered under the body, no un usual tire wear at all.

I am suspecting the steering box/gear. there are no cracks near the "frame" wear it mounts, all the bolts are there and tight. Does this steering wheel movement look normal? First youtube video. Sorry for the poor quality. I am quickly moving the steering wheel the whole time I am showing you the front left wheel, so you can see it is not moving,

Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000 Ltd.
Engine: 4.0L I6

What you have to do is have someone else rock the steering wheel back and forth while you crawl under the front and and start looking for where the play is. Put you hand on the joints to feel for any slop (you can't always see what you can feel). Check ALL the joints in the steering including the input and output shafts on the steering gear. My steering gear is loose because the input shaft will rotate back and forth and the pitman arm won't move at all while everything else is solid. I've already adjusted the gear once so when I get around to it it's going to have to get replaced.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Bettter video from underneath. It's hard to hear on the video, but there is some clunking under there when turning the steering wheel. I can't get close enough to narrow it down.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Maybe I'm going about this wrong. Can anyone without a worn steering box/gear take a look and let me know if this amount of movement is normal compared to yours? I really am desparate here. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's normal as I've nothing to compare to but mine is exactly the same. It's also just passed inspection over here in the UK.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM

97jeepxj40-Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll get a few other responses.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000 Ltd.
Engine: 4.0L I6

Did you do what I suggested before? If you can move the input shaft without moving the output shaft there's play in the box. Don't have your buddy crank the wheel though like in your video, just move it small amounts back and forth. The idea is to find out how much you can move the wheel before the pittman arm starts to move. In fact, I would recommend just grabbing the steering wheel shaft by hand and move it (with the steering wheel unlocked) to compare reaction of the pittman arm. If the box is tight the pittman arm will move with any minute movement of the input shaft.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Year: 1997

That's exactly how I tested mine. I guess that means there's definitely play in it. There are a few useful write ups on here on how to adjust the box to tighten it a bit.

If you can't tighten it fully I believe the box will need to come out to try a different method of adjustment. I haven't tried either yet but I think I will soon. My other half refuses to drive it as the steering is so vague. I'll see if I can find the write ups.

Last edited by 97jeepxj40; 10-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

I had play in my steering wheel too I was able to adjust my gearbox. There are a few vids and write ups on it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Northwoodssnowman- I understand now. I didn't before but thank you for the explanation. This is what I'll try tomorrow (Sunday). I will grab the shaft that goes right into the steering box (called intermediate shaft) and see how much if any play there is in it. I did that already, but I don't know if that's in my video. When I grab it and rotate it by hand, it seems to have some noticeable play in it when I twist it like a Motorcycle throttle. I will try to post a video of JUST that. Are you saying there should be no noticeable play when twisting it? That it should be moving the pitman arm the moment I twist it? If so, I think my box is bad, but I'll double check it tomorrow. I eagerly await your response. Thank you (and to the others as well!)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM

Here is the video of me twisting just the intermediate shaft buy hand. The jeep is off, the jeep is not jacked up and the tires are all on the ground. You can see the pitman arm right underneath the "u-joint". It looks like there is some play before it starts to move the pitman arm?????

Bad box???
Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Xj play

DiD you ever find a fix for this?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I have the exact same issue. 98 Cherokee, completely stock. 230K on the clock. Slapped a ton of new parts on the front end, finally gave up and took it to the guys at the shop.

Unfortunately, the box is shot. They were surprised it wasn't leaking a lot of fluid, but it is leaking a little. They advised not tightening it because they are so many miles on it (in other words, it would probably end up doing more harm than good). This is only my story, though. I'd wait and see what other folks have to say.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

this is reviving an old thread...but better than cluttering up the forum with multiples of the same thing... Lord knows we have our share of that on here... lol...

Best way to test is by using a second person. have one person hold the shaft under the hood while the other turns the wheel...and diagnose from A to B, could be wrong, but I've been wrenching for over 30 yrs. on my own vehicles mostly, and I do not believe there should be any play at that point.
Also make sure you have not missed any of your front end linkage in your assessment. One missed or worn part will bite you on both cheeks...
Also reman boxes are generally hit or miss since the few companies that do them in the US couldn't find their own butts with both hands and a flashlight...so they are notorious for going bad because a lot of them are not refurbished correctly. ie, new seals, etc. But if you methodically check from the steering wheel down to the box, you should find the issue.