Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibrations when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6
Default Vibrations when turning left

I had a thread in the modified section where I mentioned these issues, but it wasn't particularly on topic so I figured I would make a new post.

I'm getting some pretty obnoxious vibrations at specific speeds (worst at ~50 mph, still noticeable after, no vibrations below that), or when I'm turning left (taking a sweeping left at 30 mph produces some harsh vibrations). It also growls pretty loud at lower speeds (less than 15 mph), not sure if that could be the mud terrains though.

It sounds like it's coming from the front, so here's what I've done already. Replaced driver's side hub assembly and axle u-joint, inspected pads and rotors for abnormal wear, removed front drive shaft, checked TREs for slop, checked passenger side axle u-joint. The only things remaining I can think of would be the passenger side hub assembly or possibly warped rotors.

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Could it be this tie rod end on the drag link? It looks really stressed, like its not adjusted properly on the drag link.

Vibrations when turning left-image-3816936121.jpg
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Had a similar problem with one of my vehicles and it was driver side bearing. Kind of a grinding/vibration/roaring when turning left. I replaced the passenger side first then turns out it was driver's side.

I would atleast test the passenger hub and listen for anything. That's about all I can help with. Still getting familiar with jeep quirks.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tomk4T
Had a similar problem with one of my vehicles and it was driver side bearing. Kind of a grinding/vibration/roaring when turning left. I replaced the passenger side first then turns out it was driver's side.

I would atleast test the passenger hub and listen for anything. That's about all I can help with. Still getting familiar with jeep quirks.
Yeah, I jacked it up and tested everything, but it doesn't seem to be bad. $100 is kinda pricey for not being so sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: straight 6

Originally Posted by jwilk13

Yeah, I jacked it up and tested everything, but it doesn't seem to be bad. $100 is kinda pricey for not being so sure.
what kind of lift do you have and did you get a longer track bar?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Junk yard would be fine honestly. Shouldn't cost more than $30. The only time I'll buy something new is if it has a warranty unless it is some special crap.

About your Jeep, I'm uncertain. Check steering components maybe? Is it lifted?

Last edited by Tomk4T; 05-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Yeah, it's lifted 4.5" and has an adjustable track bar. I replaced the tie rod end there a while back. Any chance I adjusted it to the incorrect length? The vibes just started, and its been lifted a while, but something else could have worn out.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Yeah, it's lifted 4.5" and has an adjustable track bar. I replaced the tie rod end there a while back. Any chance I adjusted it to the incorrect length? The vibes just started, and its been lifted a while, but something else could have worn out.
well I just upgraded to a four and a half and I didn't upgrade my trac bar and I started noticing the vibrations more after I lifted it so I'm wondering if there is a link between the two because my u joint looks fine
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Did the vibrations progress like something was slowly wearing?

what size tires?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by anywhere & everywhere

well I just upgraded to a four and a half and I didn't upgrade my trac bar and I started noticing the vibrations more after I lifted it so I'm wondering if there is a link between the two because my u joint looks fine
I'm pretty sure it's almost a requirement if you go that high. I've heard of people re-drilling and moving the stock track bar over, but I think it's best to just get an adjustable one.

I'm thinking of taking it in to have it aligned and have the wheels balanced to see if that helps.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Did the vibrations progress like something was slowly wearing?

what size tires?
It seemed like they just kinda showed up. I'm running 32's.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it's almost a requirement if you go that high. I've heard of people re-drilling and moving the stock track bar over, but I think it's best to just get an adjustable one.

I'm thinking of taking it in to have it aligned and have the wheels balanced to see if that helps.
Yeah already you have already ruled out some issues. I went off roading without getting a new track bar but it did come from a3 inch lift
Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Honestly, I cannot answer that question definitively. Sorry.

I bought a 86 Cherokee that had 31's on it and it shook something fierce when it went over 45. Put street tires on and it's be doing fine.

Maybe worn bushings? But judging by your pic, everything looks clean so it's hard to say.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Honestly, I cannot answer that question definitively. Sorry.

I bought a 86 Cherokee that had 31's on it and it shook something fierce when it went over 45. Put street tires on and it's be doing fine.

Maybe worn bushings? But judging by your pic, everything looks clean so it's hard to say.
It doesn't shake fiercely, just an annoying hum that I can hear and feel in my feet. I'm going to take it in and have an alignment and balance done and see if that helps. If not, I might bite the bullet and replace the hub and brakes.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM

ahh. I didn't figure it was shaking but I thought you had a moderate vibration. A slight hum could just be the 32's and there's a good chance that a balance will help.

Quick Reply: Vibrations when turning left